Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Whiskey War - Japanese vs Scotch

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...hFQ&refer=home

Whiskey War: Japan’s Hibiki Vies Scotch Brands for Sales, Awards

By Rocky Swift and Masatsugu Horie

"...Barrels from a type of Asian oak, put to use when supply from America dried up during World War II, infuse Yamazaki’s whiskies cured in the wood with what’s been described as a distinctive “old temple” aroma.

Japanese makers need to play up those differences if they’re to scratch out a bigger presence overseas, Buxrud said.

“These components contribute to broadening the aroma and taste spectrum of whiskey,” he said. “They are not copy-cats....”

> Interesting...Asian Oak..not familiar with the species...old temple aroma...hmmm...what is that...incense, must?

Virtuoso

Re: Whiskey War - Japanese vs Scotch

I can't speak to old temple aroma, but can attest to the fact that the Japanese distillers are making some great whiskies. I've tried about a dozen of them and have been very impressed across the board.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there are only two bottles that are available in the US, though both are quite nice: Suntory Yamazaki 12 and 18.

Guru
    Last edited by Jono; 03-23-2009 at 14:03.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    I can't speak to old temple aroma, but can attest to the fact that the Japanese distillers are making some great whiskies. I've tried about a dozen of them and have been very impressed across the board.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there are only two bottles that are available in the US, though both are quite nice: Suntory Yamazaki 12 and 18.
    That is correct. Only the 12 and 18. Lets hope some more variety makes it over soon. In 2007 a Japanese Whisk)e)y took 1st place over Stag IIRC.

Virtuoso

I believe that Nikka Whisky is also available in the US, I'm sure I've seen it somewhere.

Japanese single malts are excellent, really worth a try.

Temple aroma sounds enticing, bet it would be an interesting flavor in whisky.
    There's no way to accurately describe what an old Japanese temple smells like. I hope you all get to experience that sometime if you haven't already. You never forget it.

Cheers!

P.S. Hmmm, I could be wrong about US availability, as I haven't been able to locate any online yet. I'll dig some more when I have the time.
    Last edited by Luna56; 03-23-2009 at 21:14.

Connoisseur

I dont know, there was a base funkyness in all the whiskys I had at the Yamazaki distillery out side of Kyoto last year. Gimme a highland or a bourbon any day.

Virtuoso

Please, tell me about the "funkyness." I never found that in the few Japanese single malts (JSM?) I tried but I'd like to hear your experiences.

My experiences with JSM's have always been very positive. Funny, I don't get a big "Scottish" vibe from the whiskys, if that makes sense, but I never felt that I was ever drinking substandard or badly made whisky.

Cheers!

Connoisseur

Perhaps its just the type of Japanese wood they use in barrels. Or perhaps it was the yeast.

I never said the Yamazaki whiskys were substandard or badly made. Whin I tasted them, there was common flavor I found in them that I dislike, it reminded me of beer wort, or sometimes that strange flavor (not oxidation) that sherry can sometimes have. So perhaps the yeast doesnt agree with my palate.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna56 View Post
    Please, tell me about the "funkyness." I never found that in the few Japanese single malts (JSM?) I tried but I'd like to hear your experiences.

My experiences with JSM's have always been very positive. Funny, I don't get a big "Scottish" vibe from the whiskys, if that makes sense, but I never felt that I was ever drinking substandard or badly made whisky.

Cheers!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Perhaps its just the type of Japanese wood they use in barrels. Or perhaps it was the yeast.

I never said the Yamazaki whiskys were substandard or badly made. Whin I tasted them, there was common flavor I found in them that I dislike, it reminded me of beer wort, or sometimes that strange flavor (not oxidation) that sherry can sometimes have. So perhaps the yeast doesnt agree with my palate.
    The Yamazaki 12 does have a very doughy flavour to it, which is one of the things I found so enticing.

Advanced Taster

Just about all the Japanese whiskey I've had has been excellent. Not all the scotch I've had has been excellent, though.