Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

PRICE CHECK...What to buy as I drive through Kentucky

I will be driving through Kentucky on Friday. I am planning on stopping at a Liquor Barn or similar store. Looking for suggestions on what to buy.

My past enjoyments are/were (and current going prices locally):

Buffalo Trace (Binny's selection) $18,
    Elmer T Lee $23
    ERSB 10YO $24
    Wild Turkey Rye $18
    Sazerac Rye $23
    Blanton's $45
    Makers Mark $20
    VWFR lot B $40
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed $36
    Four Roses Yellow $18
    Four Roses Small Batch $27
    ....just to name a few....

Most the prices above reflect current sales and normal prices at Binny's locally. Just wondering what to expect versus prices above and what specialties I might find there that I cannot find here in the Chicago land area....

I did see that Liquor Barn has a sale on Hancock Reserve Single Barrel for $28. It is $50 at Binny's. I have not tried it yet, but think I might nab a few bottles if there are any available.

Any other Suggestions???

Enthusiast

Re: PRICE CHECK...What to buy as I drive through Kentucky

When I went shopping in Kentucky, I found that selection, not price, was the strong point. Sure, several bottles were a buck or two cheaper than in Michigan. Generally, though, prices seemed comparable or even high compared to Chicagoland mega stores. Of course, one big advantage is the lack of sales tax on liquor in Kentucky.

While I was there, I decided to sample several of the Bottled in Bond brands that aren't widely available where I live. JTS Brown BIB, Barton BIB, and a few more. I found that most of the BIB expressions were very solid bourbons without fancy bottles or marketing hype.

One other great thing to check out is the ample selection of pints and half-pints of nearly everything. I love this tradition. Sample around and see what suits you the best! Then buy the 1.75 of it, sales tax-free!
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Liquor Barn has as good a selection as anyone, and generally the best prices. If traveling in Kentucky, don't hit the stores just across the river in northern Kentucky, as their prices are a little higher, but on the other hand they also (especially Party Source) have special bottlings. Best prices probably are the Liquor Barns in the Louisville and Lexington metros.

Disciple

I second the vote for Bottled in Bond. They are always priced right....and the flavor can't be beat. My favorites are Barton's lineup....then HH is a close second. Most bottles range around $11-13.

Jeff Mo.

Connoisseur

Very Old Barton BIB is on my list of all-time so-great-it's-crazy values. If I could get it in my state I would always have a bottle open. And it sells for, what, $15 in KY?
    • • •
    Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbertva View Post
    Very Old Barton BIB is on my list of all-time so-great-it's-crazy values. If I could get it in my state I would always have a bottle open. And it sells for, what, $15 in KY?
    I picked up my 750ml of Barton 100 for $11.49. That's a pretty standard price at most places in KY.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Disciple

If you stop at liquor Barn, they regularly sell Hancocks Reserve for 27.99 instead of the 45.00-50.00 you see it for most other places!

Thomas

Apprentice

Kevin,

Agree with the comments of the previous posters. Hancock's Reserve for $27.99 at Liquor Barn is worth the money IMHO. If you are coming through Louisville, Bridge Liquors on State Street in New Albany Indiana is not far out of the way and easy on and off using the 265 connector between I-65 and I-64. They can't match Liquor Barn on most Boubon pricing because of sales tax and a recent head-scratching decision to raise most of their bourbon prices. However, they do have Noah's Mill for 43.99 plus tax - about $47 total, which seems to be $5-$10 below the going rate in Louisville. They also have Laphroaig 15yr for about $52 which is about $10-$15 less than Louisville pricing, if you are a single malt person.

HTH,

Joel

Advanced Taster

Get some 4 Roses Single Barrel...fine stuff..

Novice

Thanks for all the info. Tomorrow morning I am heading out!

Thanks Guys!!