Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? Spring '09

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    I'm still in New Zealand and have done my share of tasting the local brews and wines. So much so, I haven't had a whiskey of any kind in over two weeks. I'm sad to report that New Zealand's reputation for producing solid but mostly uninteresting beer is well deserved. Many of them seem to have too much sugar (added caramel is the culprit often speculated by beer nerds) ......... almost becoming unbalanced is some cases. But there are a couple I can recommend if you can find them.

Mac's Sassy Red is a vary unique beer. Almost a cross of an APA and an English bitter. Their promotional material says they add "buckets" of NZ Saaz hops at various stages of the brewing cycle. Copper red in color, rich and a nice hoppy finish. And the coolest beer bottle and bottle-top I've seen. This has been my favorite by far and at 4.6% alcohol you can have a few.

Mac's Black is also a nice attempt at making a black beer. Its a lager and uses fuggle hops. A little stronger at 5%, but its hard for me to drink more than one black lager anyway.

Randy
    Don't know how into craft beer you are but maybe this link will help you in your search for good beer...maybe you've already looked at it...a map of all craft beer goings on in NZ:

http://ratebeer.com/Maps/Metro-182.htm

Trippah and Admin

At the request of a friend who had way too much beer left over from a party last weekend, I stopped by to watch basketball and help thin the herd. An undetermined number of bottles of Conway's Irish Ale from Great Lakes Brewing Company bit the dust.

I wish it was a full time beer for them, but it's just seasonal.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Thanks for the link in NZ. But like the map shows, there's not much craft brewing going on down there. The pubs and bars are fantastic though......good atmospheres and friendly people. The Kilkenny "Brewed in NZ acoording to the original formula" I had at Indians and Cowboys was a bit of a let down, but at least they were honest. I haven't made it to the one pub with good reviews, but will try to in the next few days.

Randy

Apprentice

doubleblank -
    there is a label made in Australia called Little Creatures that is supposed to be really really good. They make a pale ale called...you guessed it Little Creatures Pale ale that is supposed to be really good. You might find it somewhere down there..

Guru

Magic Hat Circus Boy. A little spice in this Hefe.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Disciple

Great Lakes - Blackout Stout

Disciple

Post Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? Spring '09

Tonight I am drinking "Bareville Pilsner" from the Intercourse Brewing company from Intercourse Pa near Lancaster Pa it is a smooth mild Pilsner and goes good with lots of Bourbon as we tested it tonight!
    "Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer is Food"
    Dave Z

Disciple

Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale -- last of the 6-pack !

My wife bought it with good intentions, but it's taken me all winter to get rid of it. Undoubtedly there's some whiskey aroma under all of that vanilla...
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale -- last of the 6-pack !

My wife bought it with good intentions, but it's taken me all winter to get rid of it. Undoubtedly there's some whiskey aroma under all of that vanilla...
    Shannon bought a six-pack of that a couple of years ago and it was the same story -- despite pawning one off on every unsuspecting guest -- it took till the spring to get rid of that swill.

Tonight I had some Leinenkugel Red Ales -- those are awesome.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Hey Rat,

I believe I mentioned Little Creatures in my trip thread here on SB. I went to their brewery in Fremantle and their pale ale is outstanding. It is great on tap and in bottle. The James Squire brewed in Sydney also makes a great range of beers widely available in Oz. Their golden also on tap is a great beer. Generally, I found the craft beers (and mass produced beers) in Australia to be better than anything here in NZ.

Randy