Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? Spring '09

Huma-Lupa-Licious from Short's in Bellaire, MI?
    Nope, never heard of it. Michigan does do beer well, I'll give you guys that.

I'm going to SAVOR next weekend though I see they are not on the list.

We are going to make a pilgramage to Founders someday soon but it will have to be an overnighter since we plan on fully enjoying our stay.

http://www.savorcraftbeer.com/beers.html
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    Thanks, Joe -- that's not a Yankee joke, is it?

We're not bitter....really....you know, about that whole War of Northern Aggression thing
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    Nope, never heard of it. Michigan does do beer well, I'll give you guys that.

I'm going to SAVOR next weekend though I see they are not on the list.

We are going to make a pilgramage to Founders someday soon but it will have to be an overnighter since we plan on fully enjoying our stay.

http://www.savorcraftbeer.com/beers.html
    Wow that looks great!

If you're ever in the Detroit area or going to or from Ontario, I'd love to buy you a drink (or four) at my favorite pub in Downtown Detroit, Foran's Grand Trunk. They specialize in MI brews and usually have a dozen or so on tap. They've just started serving beer-infused ice cream too, including one made with that Arcadia Coco-Loco Stout that is on the SAVOR menu.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Thanks Josh.

We were thinking of coming up this weekend for the Electronica festival downtown but our dance card filled up fast.

Ditto if you come over here. I do need to make it to a game at Tiger Stadium one of these days.

This is our best beer place, about 3 miles from home.

Draft 20+ at all times: http://buckeyebeerengine.com/tap

Even more in bottles: http://buckeyebeerengine.com/bottle
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    Thanks Josh.

We were thinking of coming up this weekend for the Electronica festival downtown but our dance card filled up fast.

Ditto if you come over here. I do need to make it to a game at Tiger Stadium one of these days.

This is our best beer place, about 3 miles from home.

Draft 20+ at all times: http://buckeyebeerengine.com/tap

Even more in bottles: http://buckeyebeerengine.com/bottle
    Looks great! I see that New Holland's Golden Cap saison is on the menu Savor too. That's my new favorite beer. If you like that style, you will not be disappointed.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Josh,

Thanks for the tip on Foran's. I'll have to give them a try when I'm downtown. I usually go to The Traffic Jam, but I've been doing that for about 40 years. It's time for a change.

Will

Guru

Was pondering driving down to Left Hand to refill my growler when I decided just to see what was new in my favorite local liquor store around the corner (there are three of them around the corner but Hover Crossing is the best stocked) and was perusing the domestic microbrew section when I spied in the single bottle section Blind Pig from Russian River. While it ain't a Pliny I seem to remember liking it so I had my Memorial Day Hops in order. Then I wanted something light if it gets hot and started talking to one of the beer distributors that was stocking his shelves. He recommended Southampton as a new offering that was "picky about which stores in Colorado it was going to be distributed from". OK, I bit. Picked up a Double White as my lighter fare for the impending heat. Almost even grabbed another favorite from up north, as Moose Drewl is now available in cans here! My wallet won that fight.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Connoisseur

Finally broke down and bought a bottle of Deus Brut des Flandres, I really wasn't impressed by it (especially at $28 a bottle (750ml)). I've had beer that was similar, Malheur Brut reserve, but this just isn't as good. It's got a sweet taste and smell that I definitely don't associate with Brut (I will admit, my experience with champagne and this style beer is quite limited so maybe my assumptions about this term are wrong...).
    Now I'm working on a bottle of batch #3, the third batch of beer my friend and I made. This one was a huge disappointment especially considering the fact that both when we were brewing and bottling this stuff it really smelled like it would be our best so far! The theme on this one was hops and we definitely went too far as the finished product tastes like carbonated grapefruit juice. We used Cascade (bittering), Summit (bittering), and Strisselspalt (finishing) hops with a pale malt for this one. Despite the sediment on the bottom of the bottles and the fact that they've sat for about 5 months they still look as cloudy as the day they were bottled. Hopefully batch #4, a recipe for Midas Touch we got from a brewing book, will be much better! After this I'm switching to the 2nd to last bottle of batch #2, a wheat malt with Warrior (bittering) and Strisselspalt (finishing) hops that's much better than the third. This one was surprising as well because it seems like the wheat malt canceled out a lot of the biterness I expected from the Warrior hops.
    Last edited by gothbat; 05-25-2009 at 20:11.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Disciple

I did drink a lot of good beer and one real bad one when I did visit Stockholm over the day a few days ago. The bad one was an 11 % double chocolate stout from some American microbrewery. I tasted enormously intense of cheap sweet chocolate and was very suffocating to drink. Much better was for instance Dales pale ale that you can trust in all cases. I did also try 2 matured beers. First one was an eisbock from a Swedish microbrewery called kåtisbocken 2005 the other one was Bigfoot 2001. Both were very mild and gentle compared to normal matured beers of the same kind. I do prefer the normal age version, but they were very interesting to taste still.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Just finished my run, and am enjoying a Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat. And, it's really hittin' the spot. Nice and crisp. Finally starting to get a little heat, down here in Hotlanta. We've struggled to hit 80, with all the rain we've had. Buts, some low 80's recently. I'm glad to see it, though. I like it hot, particularly with a cold one waitin' for me in the fridge.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama