Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
    Disciple

Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? Spring '09

I did go to Stockholm beer and whisky festival yesterday on a buss tour both for the festival and for a big whisky event called whisky convention with my local whisky club SMAD. Besides 2 single malt tasting events I did drink a lot of good beer. Amongst them the strongest beer I ever had. Utopia from Samuel Adams. At 27 % alcohol it was a big concentrations of flavours. It tasted much better than I did expect and I did like it a lot. However the taste profile did remind me more of a well aged Madera then a beer. The best beer I had was not surprisingly a 2006 Bigfoot on tap that was a special 9 pm release. I was first in line and they started to pour 2 seconds past 9. They did also have 2007 celebration from Sierra Nevada on tap at the same station. I did not like that at all as it appeared as flat in general. I do recall I didnít like one celebration on bottle not that long ago. Maybe it was the 2007 because I do recall both the 2008 and 2009 as being outstanding.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Seeing that I've returned home from KBF to a deluge of 20" of rain, and another 5" expected, I felt it was fitting to break out the Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter that I picked up while there. It's exactly as the label describes: "Complex roasty aroma with a bittersweet, chocolate-coffee taste." Just the way I like it. But, for some reason I keep having this urge to occasionally shout out, "Gitche gumee!!!"
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Trippah and Admin

If you ever remember to check in when you're in town, we can skip on over to GLBC and you can have it fresh from the tap there.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Seeing that I've returned home from KBF to a deluge of 20" of rain, and another 5" expected, I felt it was fitting to break out the Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter that I picked up while there. It's exactly as the label describes: "Complex roasty aroma with a bittersweet, chocolate-coffee taste." Just the way I like it. But, for some reason I keep having this urge to occasionally shout out, "Gitche gumee!!!"
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Still sucking down the last of my case of Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery in Michigan. Fantastic stuff, but a seasonal summer beer, so I always hate to see it go when autumn creeps up on us. Also been enjoying some Abbot Ale from the Greene King Brewery in England but was completely amazed when I went into Binny's last week and discovered that they had stocked one of my favorite English ales of all time, Bateman's XXX Bitter. That's the first time I've seen it in the US in more than ten years, so I stockpiled a bunch of it to get me through the new few months. Jump on it if you can find it!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

I did drink bunches of beer at Stockholm beer and whisky festival yesterday as there isnít much bourbon around. The highlights were Hercules double IPA on tap (same beer on bottle was less good) and Tokyo an 18,2% imperial stout from the amassing Scotch brewery brew dog. The brew master from great divide was there. Real nice guy that really seemed to like what he was doing. Lots of experiments going on at the brewery for sure!

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey