Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Beer Are You Drinking? Spring '09

Bought a 6-pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA.

I don't know if it is the Two-row pale malt or the yeast, but it definitely shares a signature with the regular pale ale (sort of a citrus flavor). There is also a touch of pleasant bitterness, and the hops give it a potent, though by no means overwhelming aroma (pine with a little hemp-like funk in the background). Not bad, not exceptional - a very approachable IPA if you are new to the style.

Virtuoso

Grilled up some nice tuna steaks tonight and had a plain old Sam Adams Boston Lager with dinner. Works well with food. I always have it on hand, it's become my old reliable.

Cheers!

PS- I always drink from a nice beer glass when I'm drinking a good beer. I'm not sure it makes the beer taste any better, though I personally suspect that it does, but I enjoy the experience much more.
    Last edited by Luna56; 04-09-2009 at 22:45.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by augustgarage View Post
    Bought a 6-pack of...
    It seems that the beer I've gotten lately are now in 4-packs and are priced more than 6-packs.

Advanced Taster

Sierra Nevada Torpedo? - check. A real nice IPA

4 packs that cost more than 6 pack? - check. Imperial styles are becoming extremely popular.

But the one beer I really enjoyed recently is Pyramid Ales Rollick. A nice amber lager that suites cool spring evenings really well. Not fruity, herby, or light-bodied, just a full-flavored micro.

Disciple

Last night I had a Guinness and then, with dinner, an Arrogant Bastard from Stone . . . loved it so much I stole the glass from the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Magic Hat Circus Boy. A little spice in this Hefe.
    What do you think of it, Greg? This is probably my least favorite of the Magic Hat line and definitely my least fav Hefe. The wife and I joke that they put it in every seasonal variety pack because no one will buy it on its own.
    Last edited by funknik; 04-11-2009 at 13:38.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Enthusiast

Last night I had: Moylan's Kiltlifter batch 1000, Hair of the Dog: Fred from the Wood, and 2 pints of Undercover by Laguanitas. I had another beer but I forgot what it was...

On tap I've got an 11.1% American Barleywine, a 15% Adambier, but it needs work, a wintery-ish toasted oatmeal/vanilla/cinnamon/chocolate stout, and a 10.5% belgian dark strong.
    The avatar is me as a little tyke.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Phischy View Post
    Last night I had: Moylan's Kiltlifter batch 1000, Hair of the Dog: Fred from the Wood, and 2 pints of Undercover by Laguanitas. I had another beer but I forgot what it was...

On tap I've got an 11.1% American Barleywine, a 15% Adambier, but it needs work, a wintery-ish toasted oatmeal/vanilla/cinnamon/chocolate stout, and a 10.5% belgian dark strong.
    Man, I envy you for the Hair of the Dog - I haven't his brews since I moved away from Portland...never seen it in Los Angeles (Laguanitas would be a big let down for me after that).

I'm currently drinking Red Trolley Ale from San Diego's Karl Strauss Brewery.

Lovely malts, and some unique flavors (candy/dried fruit - I can't place it) as well (maybe attributed to the warm fermentation?) - it is red enough to make me wonder about artificial coloring though. I'll seek this out on draught next time I'm down in San Diego.

Disciple

Last night, Abita Amber and Abita Turbodog. The night before, Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Enthusiast

Karl Strauss sucks balls. I wouldn't touch that for anything.

I'm working on a better Adam clone, the one I have now is good, but too smooth, it's missing the roasty character of true HOTD Adam. So in reading I discovered he uses peat malt....Ah!

It's the one brewery I've yet to make it to up there.

If you ever drive down south to Carlsbad, hit the Pizza Port bottle shop, you ought to be able to find a lot of good beer there. Or drive out to the Stuffed Sammitch in teh LA area...they have a huge beer list.

http://www.stuffedsandwich.com/
    The avatar is me as a little tyke.

Advanced Taster

I've found a few places with decent bottle selections (e.g. Galco's, a couple of the Whole Foods branches), but hadn't seen HOTD down here yet, so thanks for the tip.

The Red Trolley Ale comes across as a sort of failed experiment if you compare it to other seasonal red ales (e.g. Santa's Private Reserve by Rogue) - but I like the caramelized malt nuttiness which seems balanced more by the yeast rather than the hops. The flavor profile is a bit peculiar (somebody described the aroma as "tomato soup" on beeradvocate), so I could see not enjoying it. Why do you hate it?

I've had a lot of craft beers that I think are overrated (mostly California/Colorado micros) but only a handful that I found to be undrinkable (I'm looking at you Monkey Face Porter...of course I might have gotten a spoiled batch).