Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

How do you hit up your stash?

Just a question for curiosities sake...

Ever since I began buying and drinking KSB, I now find myself getting into "taster's event" mode whenever I decide to hit up my stash...

In other words, I have just about one bottle of every widely available KSB I can find here in Hawaii in my stash... JBB, JBR, KC, MM, Bulleit, WR, WT101, EWB, EWSB.

So, when I feel like drinking bourbon, I'll start with a dram of one, and proceed to have one of each based on random choices when I look at my bar. I'll typically have 3-6 drinks, every time a different bourbon at every pour.

I've noticed over time that I have started to really discern the differences between each. Sometimes, when I get up to 6 or more pours in one night, I'll wake up the next morn with a pretty good headache...

....but I was just curious, as I've looked at the pics of some of ya'all's bunkers, and seen more than a few of you list your extensive collections - do you typically choose one bourbon to savor when you drink, or do you do like I do and just drink a different pour everytime until you're done drinking for the evening?
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am...

Disciple

Re: How do you hit up your stash?

I try a new label for each pour...most of the time. It is rare that I will just have one label in an evening. I prefer the journey through the flavors.

Jeff Mo.

Advanced Taster

I am the same as Mozilla. I always want to keep comparing.

Even if I just had the best Bourbon in the world, I try something else.

My intentions are usually to pour just one bourbon and stick with it. Gotta try and send a few to the empty bin you know. But...... there are times that one thing leads to another and I have two. Or more. This usually happens on nights when I'm in the gazebo. Talk turns to this bourbon or that bourbon, what you're drinking, etc, and before you know it, my glass suddenly has a different bourbon in it. Imagine that. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

I typically have 1 pour or a couple smaller pours in an evening. I don't follow any particular plan when pouring.....whatever catches my interest when looking at the open bottles.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Enthusiast

I rarely stick with one bourbon in a night...so many to choose from and so little time!
    Jason
    "The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

2010 Fantasy Football Champion

Connoisseur

I am pretty much stick with the same bourbon all night long.

It varies depending how I'm feeling. If I have something I am really enjoying, I will stay enjoying it. If it doesn't hit the spot that night, I will move on.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    I typically have 1 pour or a couple smaller pours in an evening. I don't follow any particular plan when pouring.....whatever catches my interest when looking at the open bottles.
    This is me exactly. I rarely have more than 1 or two standard pours an evening. Often it is just one pour of a favorite. If I am in sampling mode, I will have 3 or so smaller pours.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Virtuoso

I almost always progress thru a few different ones in an evening. I will stay in the family - I won't go from a wheater to a rye or jump from one set to another that's fundamentally different. Typical would be two or three different WT's or three different ages of Pappy's - last night was two different 4Roses expressions the night before was EC 12 and 18.