Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I open it?

On a recent trip through the US I picked up a bottle of Makers Mark in the "Rock the Vote" bottle. Should I open it or is it worth keeping?

Virtuoso

Re: Should I open it?

Quote Originally Posted by dts View Post
    On a recent trip through the US I picked up a bottle of Makers Mark in the "Rock the Vote" bottle. Should I open it or is it worth keeping?
    Depends... why did you pick it up? did you pick it up because you wanted to drink bourbon, or because you liked the bottle and wanted a souvenir? It is the same whiskey as the regular bottle. You decide.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Enthusiast

What he said above ^

Makers Mark lets you dip your own bottle after the tour. I think this is wicked cool, but could never do it myself. That's because I personally believe all whiskey should be enjoyed, and I'd have to tear off the wax and drink it, thus destroying the souvenier.

But if you'd like a pretty bottle on the mantle, then great!
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Enthusiast

Recently I found MM orange over white bottles for the Univ of TN. They have been in the store for a few years and were slightly cheaper than the usual red wax bottles. UT sports have had a hard time the last few years and thus bottles are not moving well. They make a great gift when invited to a dinner that is a little different. I purchased them to drink and share. MM is a great bourbon for those who are starting their bourbon journey and a comfort bottle to return to for those like me. I say open it and enjoy. tim

Connoisseur

This is a hard one. You didn't say where you were from and if you haven't had MM before and you can't get any where around where you live I would say break it open. If you can get another bottle then save the one you got for something special.

Ok so maybe a little more background is required, first of all I've had plenty of MM over the years. Secondl I have bottles of Jim Beam Black, Bullitt, and Bookers open at the moment so I'm not hurting for choice. I thought it may be worth more unopened, if not I've no problem drinking it, unfortunately none of my friends like Bourbon so I do all my drinking alone (suckers). Also Alberta (Canada) just raised the taxes on alcohol and that bottle of Jim Beam cost me $28.00. Thanks all.

Novice

Open it on up.

I opened mine a few months ago and put it in the recycling bin just last night.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by dts View Post
    Ok so maybe a little more background is required, first of all I've had plenty of MM over the years. Secondl I have bottles of Jim Beam Black, Bullitt, and Bookers open at the moment so I'm not hurting for choice. I thought it may be worth more unopened, if not I've no problem drinking it, unfortunately none of my friends like Bourbon so I do all my drinking alone (suckers). Also Alberta (Canada) just raised the taxes on alcohol and that bottle of Jim Beam cost me $28.00. Thanks all.
    Thats on par with Jim Beam Black is here in BC..I'll be scratching Calgary off my liquor run list then...

How do you like the JB black...I was eyeing that yesterday....

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Some say that the bottles with the Blue Wax on top, taste better than those with the Red Wax on top.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Some say that the bottles with the Blue Wax on top, taste better than those with the Red Wax on top.
    That's because the blue is supposed to be on top!