Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guru

Re: Climate Controlled Warehouses--Who Does It?

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    Bourbon Geek said, "The only way I know to really speed up extraction is to increase the surface area to volume ratio of the barrel ... that is use smaller barrels for aging."

I was looking at some half barrels at a home improvement store to use as planters and they had some barrels from Europe somewhere that had rounded grooves in the barrel staves. Why not add groves of some sort to bourbon barrels and increase the surface area?
    Fluted staves.

Interesting!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    I was looking at some half barrels at a home improvement store to use as planters and they had some barrels from Europe somewhere that had rounded grooves in the barrel staves. Why not add groves of some sort to bourbon barrels and increase the surface area?
    I would think it would come down to price.I think they only pay 125.00 for a barrel and to flute a barrel I would think it would be something like another 20-30 a barrel.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Connoisseur

This has been in practise for many years at certain wineries.

Some very small / high end Cabernet Sauvignon producers in Napa Valley have fluted their barrels to give more surface area.
    Dave

The Best Whisk(e)y in the World is called

Kentucky Bourbon!!

Taster

With a larger barrel area..wouldn't the distillery also have to worry about an increased loss to 'angels share'?

Although an increase in the warehouse humidity may offset some of that loss...

Advanced Taster

Fluting the staves is an interesting way to increase the surface to volume ratio in a barrel ... However, it will add substantially to the cost of a barrel ... because the stave thickness before fluting will have to be the standard thickness plus the flute depth ... adding to the cost of the wood used. Also, the flutes have to be cut ... adding to the labor cost for making the barrel. On a large volume basis, probably not practical ... but on a small volume basis, it could definately add some worthwhile value ...and may be less expensive than using smaller volume barrels.
    Dave

"Remember, the BEST bourbon is FREE bourbon ..."

Virtuoso

I would think that the flutes or grooves or whatever wouldn't add much to the cost. I've also heard some mention of BT experimental barrels that use rough oak.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz