Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Screw tops vs Corks

I know this was an old thread but it was locked and I thought it was time to bring it back up again. I like cork I think it's classier and screw tops are cheap. But as has been discussed on here long term storage with screw tops can resulted in evaporation. Unless it was waxed but long term storage with cork can result in cork taint. What every one's opinion last time everyone was in favor of screw on. I was surprised that at whisky magazine they were having this same discussion gave me the idea for this one and they overwhelmingly chose screw on for scotch. By the way I've never had a bad cork.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Disciple

Re: Screw tops vs Corks

I prefer corks aesthetically and I do attach the stigma that cheap stuff has a screw cap and nicer stuff has a cork even though I am anti-cork. I give priority to my tongue over my eyes on this one.

Plus my current favorite whiskey has a screw top (VSOF).
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I prefer cork. I love that Thwomp sound when opening. But, I have recently begun to really like the metal screw capsules on some of the Beam products. Has a nice sound and feel to it.
    In regards to cork taint, I too, have never had a bottle that I thought had this. I also think that bad bottles with a "bad cork" claims are severely overexagerated.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I prefer cork. I love that Thwomp sound when opening.
    I like that sound, too. But, I'm moving toward screw caps. Sometimes if there isn't much left in the bottle the cork seems to shrink without drying out. So that when it is fully seated the seal isn't for s@#$.

Guru

Screw caps all the way. I like the sound too but the corks are more trouble than they're worth.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

i prefer corks for the same reason i prefer listening to vinyl. it's simply an integral part of the experience for me.

Advanced Taster

I certainly appreciate the pop when you pull a cork out, but dried out corks aren't any fun. It's kind of annoying when you want to drink something and the cork gets stuck or cracks. A screw top avoids that.

Hopefully no one has had a plastic screw top break when they tried to open it!

Disciple

People have mmentioned this before -- We need whiskeys to move to those foam style corks found in most wines nowadays -- they're not as aesthically nice, but they pop when you pull em out and you can still have decorative elements on the top like Blanton's, Turkey, etc.Cork harvesting is starting to become a problem, too -- when I was in Portugal a few years ago, all of the cork trees were stripped and it takes years and years for them to grow the circumference of bark needed to produce more cork material. It doesn't hurt the trees, but the industry can't keep up with the demand.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    People have mmentioned this before -- We need whiskeys to move to those foam style corks found in most wines nowadays -- they're not as aesthically nice, but they pop when you pull em out and you can still have decorative elements on the top like Blanton's, Turkey, etc.Cork harvesting is starting to become a problem, too -- when I was in Portugal a few years ago, all of the cork trees were stripped and it takes years and years for them to grow the circumference of bark needed to produce more cork material. It doesn't hurt the trees, but the industry can't keep up with the demand.
    I think that's an excellent idea.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Screw 'em, if you know what I mean.

I like the corks because they are so cool, and they have that inherent feeling of quality. But sometimes when I look at the corks in the bottles, it just seems like there's a little biology experiment going on above the booze.

Perhaps I should stop storing my bottles on their sides. Just kidding.