Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Bourbon with steak or...

Thinking about how much I love my bourbon with cigars reminded me of how much more enjoyable it is with and after a fine meal. For me its the huge medium-rare steak with baked potato, and creamed spinach. A Ruth's Chris speciality! Surf (Lobster) and Turf runs "bam bam" for first as well! I am up for some suggestions that may sway me...although that would be tough. I'd love to hear some bourbon and entree' pairings that others enjoy. Let me know!!! Thanks, See ya, H'wood

Disciple

Re: Bourbon with steak or...

This may sound a little silly but while in FLA I shared some Four Roses with my Dad over a dinner of "Chinese Pie". Amzingly this is the best Bourbon/Food Pairing I have had to date.

TomC

Guru

Okay, I'll bite. What is Chinese Pie?

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Well this is interesting. In Quebec where I am from, "pate chinois" meant shepherd's pie, i.e., a mixed or chopped meat pie covered with pastry. This was a hot dish. (That is French, that is, for Chinese Pie).

There has been speculation in food cirlles for years on the origin of the French name.

Some people say it is a pie made from who knows what, hence the name (this from the time when ethnic stereotyping was common).

Others say the dish can be traced to a town in Maine called China. Maine always had a strong French element, so "pate chinois", aka (I am assuming) Chinese Pie, was a (probably British-derived) sheperd's pie that was particularly good in China, Maine, and French-Canadians visiting their relations there took the dish back to Old Quebec and called it the same name but in French.

Now, if the Chinese Pie mentioned earlier in this thread is in fact an American hot meat pie, that would lend credence to the latter theory (save perhaps for the Maine origin of the dish) although the former theory even in that case could not be discounted as such.

Right?

P.S. In Old Quebec, the hard liquor drunk with pate chinois would have been Dutch-derived geneva gin. They called it, "gros gin", to distinguish it from the lighter London-style Dry Gin.

Why Dutch-derived?

That's a whole different story..

Disciple

Well being that my last name is Cloutier, ands that it is a family tradition, I would figure its from the french side of the family. The way my family makes it is with 3 ingredients, Mashed Potatos, Ground Chuck, and Creamed corn. My very french canadian grandfather said the origin is "poking fun" (ie insulting) the Asian folks cuisine, similar to the term "American Chop Suey" used to describe macaroni with spashetti sauce . He said that the french canadians can be overly "Nationalist" to the point of bigotry and that because the meal can be made with just about any shit you have around and is CHEAP, they named it thusly. Although I do not agree with the naming, it was one of my favorite meals as a child.

Tom (Franco American) C

PS My grandfather alway drank either Crown Royal or Pinch Scotch with dinner. . . . . . .hmmmmmmmmm

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

"Bonjour", Tom! The way you describe Chinese Pie /Pate Chinois is exactly how I recall it from my Montreal days, down to the creamed corn.

It's a small world, truly.

And Crown Royal is still a good dram or, as "les Quebecois" would say, "un bon coup" (a good shot), with Chinese Pie or otherwise.

Best,

gary

Virtuoso

I had Wathen's with Italian sausage tonite (mozzarella, green pepper, onion). Hmmmmm, good.

Though, nothing beats a medium rare steak and a robust bourbon. At Ruth Chris's, I order up Bookers. (Too bad it's been awhile since the expense account allowed that.)

Enthusiast

A man of my own heart! Your sentiments are well taken! Eat/Drink up and enjoy! See ya, H'wood

Novice

I've always thought Bourbon suits itself best to rugged heavy meals. Large cuts of beef or pork with strong sauces and "anything but sliced" breads. With the smell of an open fire lingering in the background. An unrefined, unpolished, non-apologetic type food and drink combo that doesn't need anyone's approval. Served best with a cigar and hardy laughter.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

My newest discovery is Smoked KY Spoonfish and Spoonfish Caviar. It just ain't right to drink chilled shots of vodka with KY caviar, so Woodford Reserve and ORV it is. The smoked fish is now marinated in Woodford Reserve and smoked with charred barrel shavings!!!! Check out the web site and if you stop by in Louisville, tell Lewis I said "Hey!!". He's a bourbon lover too.
    Kentucky Smoked Fish