Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Taster

Re: Bourbons similar to Van Winkle

I'm up in Canada specifically BC. Bourbon is not a big product around here but Rye is....

I usually buy my bourbon when I visit family in the US...

Connoisseur

Until recently there were lots of bottles of Centennial in Rochester, NY. Since getting back to NYC, I've seen it in several stores here. My guess is that there are more bottles scattered around the US than people realize. Keep it on your list and keep your eyes open and you'll find some. It's good whiskey but I think the current Old Rip Van Winkle 10 is every bit as good. I've seen that less often than the Centennial lately.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Guru

We still have some Centennial around here, guess I should get it while I still can.

Advanced Taster

Any Centennial still around Louisville, Lexington or Bowling Green? I wouldnt mind picking up a few next week.
    "Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure."
    Ambrose Bierce

Taster

I have family in Arkansas just outside of Fayetteville. I'll ask to see if they can scout around for me. For any Arkies here I'll post the update.....

Taster

As an update...I have tried the WL Weller SR and loved it...it is quite similar to ORVW10/90 so I have a few stashed.

I have also tried the OWA with high hopes. However I don't know if it was me or the bottle but on opening it, I was hit with an immediate odour of raw alcohol. Even holding the glass (and then the bottle) a foot away did not help. The alcohol overpowered all other aromas. So I let the bottle and glass sit open for approx 15 minutes. Still no change re the odour of alcohol.

The same for my first sip at room temperature...the alcohol overpowered everything else. The end result was I poured Coke into the glass and gave the bottle to my brother-in-law.

Is this typical for OWA? Might this bourbon be a little bit much for a Novice? Maybe I should get another bottle, open it, then let it sit for awhile then try it??

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by JMac72 View Post
    As an update...I have tried the WL Weller SR and loved it...it is quite similar to ORVW10/90 so I have a few stashed.

I have also tried the OWA with high hopes. However I don't know if it was me or the bottle but on opening it, I was hit with an immediate odour of raw alcohol. Even holding the glass (and then the bottle) a foot away did not help. The alcohol overpowered all other aromas. So I let the bottle and glass sit open for approx 15 minutes. Still no change re the odour of alcohol.

The same for my first sip at room temperature...the alcohol overpowered everything else. The end result was I poured Coke into the glass and gave the bottle to my brother-in-law.

Is this typical for OWA? Might this bourbon be a little bit much for a Novice? Maybe I should get another bottle, open it, then let it sit for awhile then try it??
    Don't feel bad... while many people love the OWA, I too find the alcohol overpowers the other attributes. I like the Weller SR, but find it can be a bit mild (great pour, but it does not my socks off)

Have you tried the Weller 12 yet?
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

Since you mentioned being a novice, this is somewhat typical for new bourbon drinkers when it comes to the higher proof offerings. I'll say that if you stick with it and ease into drinking various mashbills and proofs, you will get used to the alcohol. Years ago I drank 80pf bourbon and now it's rare if I go below 100pf. The OWA at 107 is perfect for me. Additionally, don't be afraid to add a couple cubes or cut it with a little water. Drink it the way you like and if 107pf is too high right now, alter it to your taste.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Advanced Taster

The OWA 107 can also vary from bottle to bottle. I'm talking current production because that's what you're likely to find. My first bottle was really smoky and alcoholic but other bottles I've tried have been much better.

Kickert really loves his Weller 12. That's one that varies for me. Some nights I think it's great, other times it's very underwhelming.

In all honesty, I'd say your best bet is to go for the Van Winkle bourbons. The Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107 is one of my favorite bourbons all around.

Disciple

^ So I'm not nuts, the two bottles of the OWA I have had have both had smoke in them. I dont like smoke in my bourbon.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination