Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Greetings From Yet Another Newbie

Greetings All,

Stumbled across this site whilst researching my next possible Bourbon purchase(s). Seeing lots of great recommendations and advice here, looking forward to reading more posts & threads. Being new to the enjoyment of premium Bourbons my "stash" is small. My favorite go to pour for the past few months has been KC, other opened choices are WT101 & WR. Waiting in the wings is Bookers, BT, FRSB and an early batch (#5) WR. I had two of the #5 WR's, the first did not last long, extremely enjoyable. Regrettably, for the current production WR I cannot say the same of. Hope I got all the abbreviations correct, I have had to scratch my head on a few that I have seen! As for my next purchase, I am leaning towards WTRB which is currently in stock at my local purveyor of fine libations. There is also a lonely Baker's that may need a new home.

Cheers!

Re: Greetings From Yet Another Newbie

Welcome aboard always good to have new members. If you have problems with the abbreviations there's a list of them at the top of this thread. I always tell the new members to ask questions, give us your opinions, post often, have fun and make new friends. There really are a bunch of really great people on here that will help you out any way they can. Looks like you like to play in the upper mid shelf don't be afraid of the lower shelf there are some good bourbons down there too. Like EW black label.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by anothertribe View Post
    Greetings All,

Stumbled across this site whilst researching my next possible Bourbon purchase(s). Seeing lots of great recommendations and advice here, looking forward to reading more posts & threads. Being new to the enjoyment of premium Bourbons my "stash" is small. My favorite go to pour for the past few months has been KC, other opened choices are WT101 & WR. Waiting in the wings is Bookers, BT, FRSB and an early batch (#5) WR. I had two of the #5 WR's, the first did not last long, extremely enjoyable. Regrettably, for the current production WR I cannot say the same of. Hope I got all the abbreviations correct, I have had to scratch my head on a few that I have seen! As for my next purchase, I am leaning towards WTRB which is currently in stock at my local purveyor of fine libations. There is also a lonely Baker's that may need a new home.

Cheers!
    Welcome! Sounds like you're already quite a connoisseur! Regarding the WR, I'm sure others are more knowlegable about this, but the earliest batches of WR contained no whiskey actually made at the distillery in Versailles, but were actually OF from Louisville. Even the current WR is a mix of Versailles and L'ville distillate.

The abbreviations do take a while to get a handle on. My two favorites are CGL and BUB.
    Last edited by Josh; 04-06-2009 at 07:28.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by anothertribe View Post
    Waiting in the wings is Bookers, BT, FRSB and an early batch (#5) WR.
    Welcome. That's a great lineup you have on deck and each is vastly different from the others. Bourbon is deep. Enjoy the exploration.

Cheers!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

The abbreviations do take a while to get a handle on. My two favorites are CGL and BUB.
    BUB is Butt Ugly Bottle but what is CGL?
    ovh

Guru

CGL = Cheesy Gold Label (WT12)

Virtuoso

Show off Will!!! Oh, I notice this is not open yet so if you need any help please PM me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    CGL = Cheesy Gold Label (WT12)

"So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

Tony,

I've took some intensive training and now know how to open a bottle like this. Now I need some training on how to make it last longer.

Will