Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Hi from Texas

Hi from Texas

Hi everyone, been lurking here for a while, finally decided to join up. I've enjoyed bourbon for years (my grandpa and his Ancient Age n' 7-up probably had something to do with it ) I've got a good idea of what top-shelf stuff I like (GTS, Booker's, WTRB) but lately I've been trying to find the perfect weeknight pour. When I get home from work, I often like just a plain old whiskey on the rocks. Nothing fancy, just something cool and bourbony - on the weekends I can go crazy with neat CS stuff.

WT101 used to be my "go-to" bottle, but, and it pains me to say it, the higher proof is just a little much for a weeknight pour these days . So, I've been trying out the various mid-to-bottom shelf 80-90 proof handles. So far, I've gone through:

Old Forester
    AAA 10 Star
    Weller SR

Out of these, I thought the 10 Star and the Weller were the pick of the litter (working my way through the Weller right now). So, I was wondering if there is anything else I should try along these lines (80-90 proof,~ $25/handle)? I'm in the DFW area, so I'm limited by the selection at Goody Goody/Sigel's/etc. (which seems like a pretty good selection, actually).

Thanks!

Disciple

Re: Hi from Texas

BAsed on your top shelf choices it looks like you prefer barrel proof and probably a higher rye. I would suggest the following:

Old Grand Dad 114
    Fighting Cock
    Weller Antique (basically teh Weller SR with a 107 proof instead of 90)
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

but it looks like you said you were looking for a 80-90 proof handle. I would suggest you try Old Charter 10. It is going to be the same mashbill as the GTS
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Connoisseur

Welcome fellow Texan. I ask you please do not support the likes of the Sigel's/Goody Goody's/Centennials of the world. I too am from the DFW area and there are so many independent retailers that have just as good a selection or can order you what you want and are consistantly $5 - $15 cheaper per bottle. Go to any of the small stores in south Dallas and Wild Turkey 101 is $30 a 1.75. You are paying franchise costs at the other places.

Spirits in downtown Dallas has your Weller SR for $28 a 1.75 everyday.

I buy Weller 12 year for $32 a 1.75 at a store downtown also.

I'm telling you this because you are only limiting yourself by frequenting these establishments, not the other way around.

PM me if you need some good locations for good deals and also dusty bottles.