Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Which Evan Williams SB?

Well it wasn't Jeff out-of-line. I apoligized in a PM to him.
    Dave G.

Disciple

We're cool. No harm, no foul.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

So, I have since tried the EWSB '98 and it was very, very good. I was surprised at how much I liked it . . . more char and complexity than the EC12 and the lower proof makes it a little easier going down . . . it has some really gorgeous sweet notes in there to go along with the spicy leather.

Still, at $10 more than EC12, I think it's a tough purchase . . . great flavor profile, though . . . I'm interested in trying to dig up a couple '97s I've seen and to try the '99.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

Just to state the obvious but maybe not so obvious to new drinkers reading this thread. If something interests you, go ahead and try it. As a new bourbon drinker progresses, they will adjust their buying and drinking habits accordingly. Many times price is mentioned as one discriminator in a buy/no buy decision. I would point out that prices vary by region and as such, if you can get EWSB for $18 (as I can), that really makes this a very appealing purchase; not withstanding someones feelings toward SB. As Jeff points out in his "slice of pie" analogy, you will get variances in SB offerings. Just be aware of that when purchasing and set your expectations accordingly.

Obviously availability will also dictate one's purchasing habits......unless of course you get creative with trades and traveling out of state. People expressing their opinions is usually a good read but in the end, it comes down to what you enjoy.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    So, I have since tried the EWSB '98 and it was very, very good. I was surprised at how much I liked it . . . more char and complexity than the EC12 and the lower proof makes it a little easier going down . . . it has some really gorgeous sweet notes in there to go along with the spicy leather.

Still, at $10 more than EC12, I think it's a tough purchase . . . great flavor profile, though . . . I'm interested in trying to dig up a couple '97s I've seen and to try the '99.
    Where I live the EWSB is cheaper than EC12 and I think it's much better.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

I've been really impressed with the '99 EWSB barrel-selected by Steve's Liquor in Madison, they sampled 3 barrels and chose what they felt was the best of the 3. Their sale price on it is $21.99, versus around $26 normally. EWSB goes for close to $30 at many places around here, so at $22 I figured it was worth a shot. It's a nice, lighter pour with interesting fruity notes...makes for a really unique Manhattan, too. I liked it enough to go back and get a second bottle to bunker...
    --
    in aqua vitae veritas
    Todd in Cheesecurdistan
    www.blueolives.com
    www.chicagopitbulls.org

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Just to state the obvious but maybe not so obvious to new drinkers reading this thread. If something interests you, go ahead and try it. As a new bourbon drinker progresses, they will adjust their buying and drinking habits accordingly. Many times price is mentioned as one discriminator in a buy/no buy decision. I would point out that prices vary by region and as such, if you can get EWSB for $18 (as I can), that really makes this a very appealing purchase; not withstanding someones feelings toward SB. As Jeff points out in his "slice of pie" analogy, you will get variances in SB offerings. Just be aware of that when purchasing and set your expectations accordingly.

Obviously availability will also dictate one's purchasing habits......unless of course you get creative with trades and traveling out of state. People expressing their opinions is usually a good read but in the end, it comes down to what you enjoy.
    As usual great advice Greg!! Take nothing on here as far as what what 's better than what as the gospel according to anyone it's all just personal opinion and taste.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Where I live the EWSB is cheaper than EC12 and I think it's much better.
    Get EWSB for $18 (as I can), that really makes this a very appealing purchase.
    I'm jealous of you dudes! Around here I get EC12 for $18.99 & EWSB for $27.99. Since my love for EC12 is well documented, I'm slow to throw it under the bus, but I'm liking my EWSB quite a bit more than the last EC12 I had (although that bottle was noticeably below par, I thought). Even in NH, the land of low, low liquor prices, EWSB goes for $24 (and EC12 is $22, go figure), so I probably will stick with the Elijah for a while. The dispairity in price from state to state never ceases to amaze me.

I absolutely agree with Greg also . . . just go for what you like . . . try everything you can along the way.
    Last edited by funknik; 05-19-2009 at 10:21.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Taster

For me it is not so much price as it is flavour profiles. I have a sweet tooth so I look for flavour profiles that have certain flavours (vanilla/caramel) and in certain combinations (vanilla with caramel and oak tones).

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    I'm jealous of you dudes! Around here I get EC12 for $18.99 & EWSB for $27.99..
    Jeez, you should try Australian prices . EC12 is $40 and EWSB is $45. I've even seen it priced with another $5 tacked onto each one.

Anyway, back on topic...... I first tried the 93 EWSB, and really liked it. The 94 appealed greatly also, but the 95 bottle I tried wasn't to my liking at all, and ended up being used as a mixer with Coke. I'm yet to try anything after the 95.
    Having said that, I have bunkered 2 bottles each of the 92 thru to 97 Vintage (the 98 is yet to be released here) with the intention of having a tasting event sometime in the future. I just need to find some willing participants