Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Which Evan Williams SB?

I have liked some better than others--the 1994 is a particular favorite--but I've had them all and there hasn't been one I didn't like. Even the last few distillery du jour vintages have been excellent.

Apprentice

I finished a bottle of the '99 on wed. night. It was very good. This morning I picked up a bottle of the '97 and poured me a bit about ten minutes ago. Okay I think its ready for a sip (neat). Ok, wow less oak nice molasses and toffee. This one is holding on here in the finish it's going on 15 seconds. Very, very nice. Okay IMHO I like the '97 better than the '99 the '97 seemed mellower and the finish was longer. I have tasted other vintages but it has been so long that it would be hard for me to compare them. If you are in the Penns Grove, NJ. area and want to try the '97 there is a liquior store up here that has 2 or 3 gift boxes left on the shelf (its not a big seller up here). PM me and I will tell you the shop that has it.
    Last edited by Single-Barrel; 06-04-2009 at 09:38.
    Simple, Just The Way I Like It!!

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Single-Barrel View Post
    I finished a bottle of the '99 on wed. night. It was very good. This morning I picked up a bottle of the '97 and poured me a bit about ten minutes ago. Okay I think its ready for a sip (neat). Ok, wow less oak nice molasses and toffee. This one is holding on here in the finish it's going on 15 seconds. Very, very nice. Okay IMHO I like the '97 better than the '99 the '97 seemed mellower and the finish was longer. I have tasted other vintages but it has been so long that it would be hard for me to compare them. If you are in the Penns Grove, NJ. area and want to try the '97 there is a liquior store up here that has 2 or 3 gift boxes left on the shelf (its not a big seller up here). PM me and I will tell you the shop that has it.
    I've been working on a "98. I was sipping some last night. My fav so far.

Taster

browsed around a hole in the wall the other day, and saw they had '96 and '97, and pretty much any other beverage store around has the '98 and '99.

in my area they run at about $26... are either of the two older ones any more spectacular awsome finds, or just another apple from the tree?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    browsed around a hole in the wall the other day, and saw they had '96 and '97, and pretty much any other beverage store around has the '98 and '99.

in my area they run at about $26... are either of the two older ones any more spectacular awsome finds, or just another apple from the tree?
    Yeah there all a little different give em a try EWSB is a good value in a SB. The 97 is pretty special.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

Pick up the 96 and 97 you will be happy you did. They are both very good examples of the EWSB line.
    I myserlf picked up a 98 today.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Guru

If the 1996 is before November 7 then it was distilled at the Heaven Hill distillery in Bardstown before the fire that destroyed it.
    ovh

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    If the 1996 is before November 7 then it was distilled at the Heaven Hill distillery in Bardstown before the fire that destroyed it.

... So you're saying that the '96 will have a bit more 'burn' going down?

Virtuoso

I have a bottle distilled on 11/07/96. I get a really strong char flavor in the finish.

I haven't visited the EWSB lately and think i need to try a few different years and compare them. These were my first dusties as I enjoyed it as my premium bourbon and was able to find a 92 and 95 which started me trying to collect a run of them. I only have a 97 open now but should snag some backups of the 96.
    Last edited by tommyboy38; 06-12-2009 at 07:31.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Novice

It seems like people really like the 97
    I have only had a couple of these, I think the 89 was the first one I bought quite a while ago.

Are you near Indy? I have to visit my bro near Brownsburg, would love to know where you found the 96 and 97. PM me if you can?