Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

New member in Alabama

Hello All,
    I have been a casual observer of the site for the past few months, but thought it time to become a member. I'm a beginner, only having any serios interest in Bourbon in the past year. I'm originally from Kentucky but have lived in Birmingham Alabama for about 10 years.

I would welcome any recomendations of local activity from members in Alabama and look forward to participating in the site forums.

Thanks,
    Matt

Taster

Re: New member in Alabama

HAY NEIGHBOR,
    Welcome aboard. as for a recomendation you might like WT Russels Reserve, or WL Weller. Buy what appeals to you and you'll probably find something you like about it. Good Luck.

J.W.

Advanced Taster

Let us know what you've enjoyed in the past and we're more than happy to recommend something new to try!

=Chris

Enthusiast

Matt - I'm aware of members in Pelham and Auburn/Opelika. I'm down south near Mobile. Welcome.

Guru

Howdy and welcome to all the 'Bama members.
    I'm a 'Bama guy who got stuck up here in MI.
    ovh

Guru

Thumbs up Re: New member in Alabama

Welcome to SB.com, Matt. I live about 20 miles south of B'ham. I don't know of any "activities", though. But you can learn a ton on this forum.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Novice

Thanks to everyone for the hospitality.
    Responding to a couple of the responses:

I was hoping to find tastings, a local group of folks that get together on occasion, etc. in the Birmingham area. With all of the wine tastings available I would think that there would be a Whisk(e)y Tasting from time to time.

Some of my favorites are Bookers, Blantons SB, Eagle Rare 10, Woodford is decent. I have not yet had time to try too many bottlings (about 20 or so), and the only thing I can say I have truly not enjoyed is Bulleit. Anything that is a must try that is stocked in AL?
    On a very positive note, I have a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23 on its way to celebrate the birth of my son last week.

Thanks to all,
    Matt

Disciple

Congrats on the birth of your son, Matt, and welcome to the board!

As I'm sure you know, AL, like ME, is a liquor control state and you'll read quite a few laments on this subject if you knock around the board long enough. I'm not sure what's available there, but if you can something that you like, that's great. I have very similar feelings about Bulleit, by the way.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Novice

Funknik,
    The selection at the Alabama Beverage Control Board Stores is pretty limited. Very few of the items recommended and discussed in the Forum's are available here.
    What is even more frustrating is the selection at area restaurants and Bars. I enjoy good food and have been to some of the best restaurants in Birmingham and the selection is always the same: Bookers, Basil Hayden, Woodford, Knob Creek, WT, MM, JB, and sometimes Bakers. By all means, the first ones on the list are pretty much the best that is available off the shelf at the retail state store, but I would think that a high end place or two would make an effort to order some additional variety. Not sure if it is the same in ME, but here you can order just about whatever you like, you just have to order it by the case.

Thankfully, I still make it to KY reasonably often. I’m going to have to start stocking up during my trips.
    Thanks, Matt
    Last edited by mwyatt; 04-20-2009 at 12:15.

Welcome aboard Matt. Glad to have you. Looks like you're getting a little help from some fellow Alabama members. That's why we're here. Good luck on your bourbon quest. Also, congrats on the birth of your son. I speak from experience when I say that before you know it, he'll be buying you one. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"