Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM 4/09: OF Birthday Bourbon

Sorry for the delay everyone, being a new dad is taking most of my free time right now And, with April being the month my boy turns 1yo, it's only fitting to celebrate with a little Old Forester Birthday Bourbon! This is one of my favorite annual releases, each one different than the one before, and usually better! Officially we are talking about the latest bottling, but to compare and contrast with older iterations is not only allowable, it's expected!

Celebrate with me my son's Birthday, with a toast of OF Birthday Bourbon!

Sound off
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru

Re: BOTM 4/09: OF Birthday Bourbon

As I have posted here, the 2008 OFBB expression is one of the best in memory. "The best I can say about this pour is how well-balanced and drinkable it. All the elements come together wonderfully. None stand out (in a good way) but rather compliment each other."

Wish it wasn't so hard to find.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Taster

This is an excellent bourbon. I lucked upon a bottle and am very glad I did.
    If you see it, BUY IT!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    "The best I can say about this pour is how well-balanced and drinkable it. All the elements come together wonderfully. None stand out (in a good way) but rather compliment each other."
    My thoughts exactly. It has perfect balance. I bought mine in Kentucky but was lucky to have my local store get some in not long ago so I was able to pick up an extra.

I brought the 2008 OFBB to our family Thanksgiving for the table. There was a healthy dent in it by the end of dinner, which I found puzzling. My brother filled me in that it migrated to the other end of the table where our uncle, who is "not supposed" to drink, discreetly spiked his iced tea with it all evening, he looked pretty happy at the end of dinner!

Advanced Taster

My father opened my eyes to this bourbon (and bourbon in general) and I am glad he did. This is my second sampling of the series and this one confirms I will be making this purchase annually. An excellent, smooth bourbon that for me actually has a mint finish, which is strange because I never find that flavor.

Fine choice!

Enthusiast

There's a bottle of this sitting on the shelf at a store near my house... it's got a $50 price tag attached. This is at the same store that sells Buffalo Trace for $20, Ritt 100 BIB for $10, EC12 $18... you get the picture.

Seems for those prices, $50 seems pretty spendy... looks to be about $40 online. I would love to try it, but how does everyone feel in that price range? It's not that I mind spending $50 on a bottle... it's more the fact that I don't want to spend $50 on something that seems to be "good" but not necessarily stand out as something special and unique. (Versus spending $50 on something that may be a bit more interesting)

Guru

Excellent choice for BOTM. I think it's one of the best whiskeys I've ever had.

Joshua: $50 is a bit steep, I think I paid $40 for the bottle I got, but it was damn good, maybe even $50 good. Do you like the other OF expressions?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

For my money, this expression is $50 good. Your mileage may vary.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Had some of this in both Louisville and Bardstown. Very tasty stuff and hard to find. Found some in Louisville for about 33 bucks after a lot of looking. We did not see any of this stuff in Bardstown.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"