Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: BOTM 4/09: OF Birthday Bourbon

You had to look hard Joe. Liquor Barn was out when I went through friday so I stopped at Toddy's before going to the GN. They had two bottles on the top shelf behind the register and that was my normal quota. The label coloring had me fooled into thinking it was 06 when I saw it up there. But when I asked the guy behind the counter he said that was all they had left and showed me it was 08. I have yet to see it in Colorado though.

That being said, I have always loved the OFBB line (with one exception that I still didn't quite hate) and this one is no exception. It does leave me with a minty note that I hadn't noticed in the others but who says that's a bad thing?
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Virtuoso

I'm not crazy about the Old Forester or the OFBB which I had a chance to sample at Whiskyfest in Chicago this year. I have two previous examples in my bourbon stash that my wife encouraged me to buy because the bottles were pretty. She's a sucker for a unique bottle no matter what's inside.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Quote Originally Posted by gr8erdane View Post
    That being said, I have always loved the OFBB line (with one exception that I still didn't quite hate) and this one is no exception. It does leave me with a minty note that I hadn't noticed in the others but who says that's a bad thing?
    Curious Dane, what is the one exception? Personally I wasn't impressed with either 2003 or 2004 and haven't tasted 2005, but loved 2006 and thought 2002 and 2007 were both very very good.

I wish I could add my impressions of the 2008 but as I mentioned I've not found it in Oregon which doesn't surprise me and the few hours I had to spend in NorCal hunting turned up none either. I guess I'll be making a Binny's call.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru

The 2004 was the exception because it was too young at 8 yrs and tasted too much like the normal Old Forester to me. The extra five years they went back to in 05 worked wonders for me. I understood that they were trying to make each year different but I was expecting a much older bourbon for that same price.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Advanced Taster

I've got a bottle of the 2006, which is the only vintage I've had. I like it a lot! It's got a nice mint-and-toffee flavor that I really enjoy. I've got a ton of open bottles right now, but this is one I keep gravitating toward for my nightly pour. I need to track down some other vintages for comparison.

Novice

Picked up three bottles today and enjoying some as we speak.
    Delicious!

Connoisseur

Been 3 or 4 years since I bought a bottle. I've gone back and forth a bit - though I don't know if that was the result of year to year differences or because it tends to be near the edge of my favored taste profile. But I picked up the 08 over the weekend and found it very good, but not exceptional. After I finished a glass I followed with a glass of Signature, which I liked better. The BB was fairly dry, while the Signature had a little added sweetness that I liked.
    Anyway, my verdict was "not bad" but at a bit more than half the price I prefer the Signature.
    Craig

Apprentice

I can't wait until September, I have bought 2 bottles every year since 2002, one to keep and on to compare to the the previous years. It is a ritual that I do every year I usually start the last week of September and I will taste 3 different years a day. I usually start with the new (current) bottling about noon then about 16:00 I will try the 2002 then about 20:00 I will try the previous years. I will do this until I have compared them all (limiting my self to only 3 taste a day) so about 2 1/2 days. when we get the 2010 stuff I will be up to 3 days of testing. Oh boy!! Through out the year I will have a taste if I am in the mood, but with the large selection of whisk(e)y I have I just don't seem to make it around to this line to often. I have the ritual in place, so I do not miss out on this very fine tasting Bourbon. YUM-YUM
    Simple, Just The Way I Like It!!