Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Straight face drinking it straight

I find myself making a bit of a cringe type face when drinking my bourbon/whiskey straight up . But it is less by by time I get through a couple drinks.

Does it get easier with time as I train myself to drink it straight up ? Or is this just a common thing with all of us ?

Guru

Re: Straight face drinking it straight

Your palate will adjust to the alcohol you are picking up which is typically the first thing a new drinker experiences. I drink 100 pf bourbon and don't really notice the alcohol.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkonjack View Post
    I find myself making a bit of a cringe type face when drinking my bourbon/whiskey straight up . But it is less by by time I get through a couple drinks.

Does it get easier with time as I train myself to drink it straight up ? Or is this just a common thing with all of us ?
    Grow some...no "bitter beer" faces here! Although I do go bourbon on the rocks...something with drinking it a room temperature doesn't sit right.

Guru

If your face cringes when drinking boubon neat or eating liver 'n onions, then don't do it.
    (btw, my Mom made great liver 'n onions.)

Drink it the way you enjoy it and over time you will graduate to neat.
    But don't force it.

Life is to short to force yourself to "acquire a taste".
    ovh

Taster

you'll eventually get to that comfort level where sipping is a beautiful thing. i look at people who mix ice, water, or cola with their bourbon as if they're dumping it down the drain...or lighting money on fire.

just a jaw-dropper of a moment for me. i realize there is room to move for some bourbons, but if i had guests and they did anything BUT drink some ETL straight i'd kick 'em right in the pants and that'd be their last shot of ETL i share with 'em!

I woul'nt sat I am not enjoying the taste.

It is like sour lemonade it tastes great but the sour makes you pucker.

Same with the burbon , I like the taste and the effects but makes me make a little face a bit.

I wonder If I practice with Ever Clear

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ElasticalGomez View Post
    you'll eventually get to that comfort level where sipping is a beautiful thing. i look at people who mix ice, water, or cola with their bourbon as if they're dumping it down the drain...or lighting money on fire.

just a jaw-dropper of a moment for me. i realize there is room to move for some bourbons, but if i had guests and they did anything BUT drink some ETL straight i'd kick 'em right in the pants and that'd be their last shot of ETL i share with 'em!
    I admit I drink mine on the rocks most of the time but this is mostly because I want it a little cooler than room temperature (no more than 1 or 2 ice cubes for every 3 ounces). There are certain bourbons that, in my opinion, MUST be consumed neat and for those I drink it straight up.

Like ElasticalGomez, I too don't like to see people destroy the taste of a good bourbon with water or soda. I have friends who can drink it no other way than mixed. For those I simply keep a bottle of Old Crow in the house. My finer bourbons are under the counter in my bar, where my true bourbon drinking friends can find them (or put theirs) and the Old Crow sits on the bar for the rest. Watching them mix soda with that doesn't bother me as much.
    "You can't bluff an idiot." T. J. Cloutier

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkonjack View Post

Try slightly blowing air from your nose as you swallow. This always works for me , even with the very high proofs.
    "Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure."
    Ambrose Bierce

Guru

I attended a tasting a couple years ago with Fred Noe. His comment was that there's no wrong way to drink bourbon. I agree in part. What I won't do is if a guest wants a bourbon and coke or bourbon and ginger, I don't break out the good stuff obviously. They get a rail bourbon to mix.

Bourbon is meant to be enjoyed; mixed, cut, rocks, neat.....however you enjoy it is your business.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Trippah and Admin

It's your bourbon and you should enjoy it any way that you want.

Don't buy into the "straight or nothing" bologna.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?