Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Disciple

Secret Stash Willpower

I just recently started stashing bottles when I found a couple dusty Rare Breeds from '96 and BHC VSOF. Previously, I've only had open bottles, but now I have a very small "bunker." I'm ready to get a little stable of favorites and unusual finds.

Thing is....I've been having a hard time not cracking into 'em, though. I want to keep these around a while and build a little collection, but they're calling to me....

"....Andy.....drink me...."

Will I know when it's the right time to crack into one, or am I master of my own bourbonic destiny?
    Last edited by funknik; 12-05-2008 at 21:24.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Enthusiast

Re: Secret Stash Willpower

In my case the bunker tends to grow faster than my ability or willingness to drink it. I like the idea that I can put away bottles for future tasting that I may not be able to get in the more remote future. In particular I am trying to hunt down and buy up some of the older, more difficult to find bourbon in this area. My real problem is finding places to stash the booze. I tend to open and drink the booze I can easily find on store shelves.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MJL View Post
    In my case the bunker tends to grow faster than my ability or willingness to drink it. I like the idea that I can put away bottles for future tasting that I may not be able to get in the more remote future. In particular I am trying to hunt down and buy up some of the older, more difficult to find bourbon in this area. My real problem is finding places to stash the booze. I tend to open and drink the booze I can easily find on store shelves.
    I have the same MO -- if I find something weird, stash it -- if it's everywhere...drink it.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

You will find there are two schools of thought on this subject;

Purchase, drink, purchase more

Purchase, bunker, drink, purchase, bunker, etc.

I'm from the second school. I find a lot of out of production bourbons in my area so much of what I have is decades old. I also purchase limited release items like BTAC, Parkers Heritage, etc. As such, I have a collection around 300 bottles that keep me doused in bourbon goodness. I like to keep my open bottle count somewhere around 15 but rarely succeed as I too like to open and try. I'm doing pretty good right now with about 22 bottles open....the latest, a 1976 Yellowstone 86p. Bottom line, I purchase way more than I drink.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Disciple

I'm from the first school. Purchase, drink, purchase more. I have absolutely no self-control whatsoever. So sad.

Guru

I'm from the second school of thought. Perhaps for me anyhow it is a carryover from the way I stockpile food. If I eat X cans/pounds of (fill in the blank) the next time I go shopping I purchase X cans/pounds plus Y. That way when cash flow is at an ebb I'm still sitting pretty.

Disciple

I'm with Greg in the second school, though thankfully on a smaller scale (not much smaller!)

Except for limited releases and some favorite mashbills (e.g. Old Grand Dad) most of my collection veers towards the out-of-print. I got carried away with opening bottles for new tastes -- close to 40 open -- and I'm trying to knock them down.

My problem is finishing a bottle -- I'm always afraid I'll never get to try it again, or to compare to a newer version of the same expression. (Drawing off a 50ml or two has so far held me over.)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I'm from the second school of thought. Perhaps for me anyhow it is a carryover from the way I stockpile food. If I eat X cans/pounds of (fill in the blank) the next time I go shopping I purchase X cans/pounds plus Y. That way when cash flow is at an ebb I'm still sitting pretty.
    Same & same. I'm a hoarder/collector with respect to all sorts of things - books, wine, whiskey, craft beer, DVDs, board games...and yes, food.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Guru

What I want to know Dan, is at what point do you move to make more room for bourbon?

Hope your Thanksgiving was good.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Connoisseur

I'm 1st school. I'm 68 and I told my brother in law if my wife and I pass together he could have my stash, darned if I want to give him anything I haven't tasted!