Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Apprentice

Mm, Mint Juleps.

Given that the Derby is this Saturday, I've been hitting the juleps pretty hard this week at various bars. Not that I'm big into horse racing, it's just provided me with an excuse to drink something I generally reserve as a seasonal enjoyment.

I'm curious...

What Bourbon do you use in your Mint Juleps?

I was pretty ardent in my stance, and used Woodford Reserve exclusively in mine. I found the spiciness of Woodford to stand up to the sugar and mint rather well. That was until a few nights ago when a bartender convinced me to try it with Basil Hayden's. It was not bad, not bad at all. Given the weaker ABV, the Hayden's absorbs all the flavor and forms a marriage with the sugar and mint. Very smooth, easy drinking, and has more of a tea-like quality. Woodford is still my favorite base, but I'm pretty alright with Hayden's if I were going for a more casual cocktail or were to recommend it to someone that's not much of a Bourbon drinker.
    LifeEpicurean.com | What We Are Meant to Live For

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Mm, Mint Juleps.

The mint julep is a good place for a bourbon that is at least 100 proof. Were I making one on Saturday, I'd probably reach for Wild Turkey 101, Very Old Barton BIB, Old Grand-Dad BIB or J.T.S. Brown BIB.

More julep musings from me are here.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    The mint julep is a good place for a bourbon that is at least 100 proof. Were I making one on Saturday, I'd probably reach for Wild Turkey 101, Very Old Barton BIB, Old Grand-Dad BIB or J.T.S. Brown BIB.

More julep musings from me are here.
    You think of yours as more of a shot? Interesting.

Do you prefer crushed or cubed ice? Crushed is clearly more traditional, but I take mine cubed. I always find the crushed ice to dilute my drink too quickly, and I feel kind of weird drinking a Bourbon slushy. In that sense, I'm not at all a purist. I also opt for simple syrup.

Guru

Ok, Chuck, I am really wanting to try your recipe and drink it, quickly. The thing is, I don't know where to get fresh mint. And, I don't grow herbs.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Ah, Mint Juleps. My all time favourite bourbon cocktail (or should I now say 'Shot'?)

Chuck, for me, you've hit the nail on the head with regards to how Mint Juleps should be consumed! I've always struggled with the concept of drinking them slowly, because to me, they taste so good I want to do more than just sip them. Plus once they get all watery, they taste like crap.

I've not experimented to much with making them,having tried Makers Mark, Woodford Reserve and Nelson County (a Heaven Hill bourbon). To date my favourite has been the Bill Samuels recipe for making an entire 750ml bottle of Julep to keep in the freezer. I'm not sure if it tastes better, but it sure as hell is convenient

Connoisseur

I just got a bottle of the Maker's Mark Mint Julep
    (66 proof) and it's very tasty. There is a "Perfect
    MJ Cocktail" recipe on the side label but it's fine
    on the rocks if you don't wanna go to the trouble
    of adding a mint sprig and shaved ice. Even my
    wife (who wants oh so badly to enjoy bourbon)
    found it pleasant enough after adding a bit of
    water.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

The bottled Mint Julep's are only really good as an ice cream topping...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    I just got a bottle of the Maker's Mark Mint Julep
    (66 proof) and it's very tasty. There is a "Perfect
    MJ Cocktail" recipe on the side label but it's fine
    on the rocks if you don't wanna go to the trouble
    of adding a mint sprig and shaved ice. Even my
    wife (who wants oh so badly to enjoy bourbon)
    found it pleasant enough after adding a bit of
    water.
    Hit her off with a Manhattan made on the sweeter side, a splash of maraschino cherry juice will do the trick. Prepared that way, it serves well as training wheels for budding bourbon imbibers.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Oswald View Post
    Hit her off with a Manhattan made on the sweeter side, a splash of maraschino cherry juice will do the trick. Prepared that way, it serves well as training wheels for budding bourbon imbibers.
    Thanks for the suggestion. We just happen
    to have some cherry juice in the pantry so I'll
    see what she thinks.

Connoisseur

I planned to have my first mint jelup on saturday in honor of the derby so Friday night I went to the store for powdered sugar and saturday to the local market for fresh mint. I was also lucky enough to find a really nice silver plated cup at a local pawn shop to have it in. So I followed the directions as stated on here and mashed the mint and sugar in the bottom with a little woodford reserve added crushed ice and topped off with woodford. I must say I don't really care for mint jelups. I tried again with less sugar and a few more mint leaves but no dice. Maybe next year at derby time I will try again.

I was on the other hand happy to find the silver cup. it was listed for 13.50 and it was engraved with my citys 200 year anniversary. I asked if the price was right and asked if it was really pewter. He showed me the hallmark. Saying it was so cheap because it had been there four years.
    Last edited by independant; 05-04-2009 at 22:06.