Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Mm, Mint Juleps.

Okay here's a better way to make them:

Fill a julep cup with crushed ice

Fill with Bourbon

add a sprig of mint

add a straw cut to rise only about an inch above the rim of the cup

drink bourbon through the straw with your nose nearly buried in the mint.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Okay here's a better way to make them:

Fill a julep cup with crushed ice

Fill with Bourbon

add a sprig of mint

add a straw cut to rise only about an inch above the rim of the cup

drink bourbon through the straw with your nose nearly buried in the mint.

I like your way so much better.

Even though I just had Woodford reserve on the rocks while stiffing mint it was better.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I understand mint is pretty easy to grow and that it will take over your yard if you aren't careful.

I'm not that crazy about the mint julep and have no interest in the pre-mixes or in making them with mint syrup, but they can be enjoyable under the right circumstances.

And as I always say when the subject comes up, don't dawdle over your julep. It's best to drink it down as soon as you make it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I understand mint is pretty easy to grow and that it will take over your yard if you aren't careful.
    This is quite true, but it also does very well in pots if you don't have a corner to grow it in or you don't have a yard. It likes full sun but does fine in part sun or part shade.

There are varieties that are made especially for Juleps, but I would just buy the generic spearmint available at any garden center. Or better yet find somebody who has some in their yard, and ask if you can dig some up for yourself.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

I may have to bring this back from the semi-dead... I have a TON of mint in my herb garden. Enough that it's dang near a "weed."

Well I decided to let it grow in the back edge, and realized I had about 30 gorgeous mint plants going, and a bottle of WT101 nearing the end. I bruised up a 4 of the biggest leaves, tossed them in the bottom with 2 oz of WT101, .7 oz of simple syrup I made, and a big sprig of mint.

Damn good... the first gulp/sip was a bit surgery, but after that with a nose full of mint the next sips finished it off and felt like a really wonderful way to kill a drink on a warm summer night. I don't really see them as a drink every night, but more of a sophisticated shot of sorts. Now, of course I have to drink them more often to keep the population of mint in check.

I say, without a doubt, 100 proof and up for them though

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post

I'm not that crazy about the mint julep and have no interest in the pre-mixes or in making them with mint syrup, but they can be enjoyable under the right circumstances.

And as I always say when the subject comes up, don't dawdle over your julep. It's best to drink it down as soon as you make it.
    I just have to disagree here ... I think a mint julep is all about the experience ... to be savored, for sure. I think the julep is all about cold, minty sweetness, and enjoying the day.

As such, I think you need to pre-make your juleps by the bottle ... well in advance. Maybe even have a separate mint julep making party...

Start with fresh mint with smaller leaves, if possible. Take the time to pick the leaves off the stems and discard the stems. (The stems will impart a tannin-bitter taste into what shold be a perfectly sweet drink). Once you have 2 or 3 generous handfuls of mint leaves, stuff them into a cheese cloth so it looks like a large mint burrito (of sorts) ... Pour 4 or 5 ounces of your favorite bourbon into an oversized mixing bowl ... then submerge your mint-stuffed cheese cloth gently in the bourbon. Let it soak for a few seconds, gently kneading it to get the air out ... pull it up and wring it gently ... do this several times, wringing a little more firmly each time. When the mint smell in the bourbon is very strong (usually takes about 5 or 6 dips) ... set this mint extract aside.

Next, prepare a simple syrup ... 1 cup water to 1 cup sugar ... be careful not to boil the water ... heat it just enough to completely dissolve the sugar ... then set this aside.

By making this a three part concoction, you can separately control the sweetness, the mintyness, and the amount of alcohol in your drink. Any other way, and you wind up not being able to precisely control the proportions.

Finally, is another mixing bowl, dump about a 750 ml bottle of your favorite bourbon ... add about 1/4 cup or so of the simple syrup ... then begin adding the mint extract until the nose is just perfect. When done, it should all just fit into a Liter bottle ... fill 'er up and throw it into the freezer for the big day.

Now, clean up and get ready to party.

For the presentation, pack your glass with crushed/shaved ice ... preferrably a traditional julep cup (because it's metal and does nice things with the cold) ... pour your julep mix over top ... and because you chilled it in advance, the ice will not melt away ... push one nice sized sprig of mint into the cup for a garnish ... dust the top with powdered sugar ... and push a small diameter bar straw down into the mix.... Finally, take a pair of scissors, and trim the top of the straw off about 3/4 of an inch above the ice ... that way, as you sip your julep, your nose will be just above the mint sprig and sugar ... adding to the olfactory experience.

Now, sip away ... don't gulp ... experiences like this were menat to be savored slowly ... take it all in ...
    Last edited by Bourbon Geek; 06-05-2009 at 05:38.
    Dave

"Remember, the BEST bourbon is FREE bourbon ..."

Guru

Great recipe dave! I'll give it a shot this weekend!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

That's how I make mine - by the bottle, before hand, and in the freezer ready for the day I want to drink them.
    Actually Dave, your post almost reads like the script to the Makers Mark Mint Julep video I got my recipe from
    I do agree with Chuck though..... drink them before the ice melts and they get all watery, and, because I make the bottle up before-hand, pour another

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    That's how I make mine - by the bottle, before hand, and in the freezer ready for the day I want to drink them.
    Actually Dave, your post almost reads like the script to the Makers Mark Mint Julep video I got my recipe from
    I do agree with Chuck though..... drink them before the ice melts and they get all watery, and, because I make the bottle up before-hand, pour another
    What an odd coincidence ...
    Dave

"Remember, the BEST bourbon is FREE bourbon ..."

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Pre-chilling does preserve the ice a little longer, but "don't dawddle" is probably good advice. Letting them get watery just ruins them.