Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Apprentice

A little Bourbon eye candy.

By night, I am a lover of great food and drink. But my other great love is photography, which takes up a substantial part of my days given that I am enrolled as a photo major. For my studio lighting class, I had a product shot assignment, so I did this:

Surprisingly, such a seemingly simple shot can prove to be a pain to setup in order to get the lighting to fall properly and illuminate the things its supposed to.

I'm pretty content with the result. I think it'd be amusing to continue this as a series, shooting every new bottle I purchase, and hang them around my personal bar.
    LifeEpicurean.com | What We Are Meant to Live For

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: A little Bourbon eye candy.

That's a nice picture Os. A lot of contrast. How do you get that white background, that doesn't look like anything? The bottle looks like it's floating. I'd be interested in viewing a series, as you shoot them. Post 'em on up.
    I don't know squadush about photography. My only credentials in rating photography, is that I've studied several volumes of Arny Freytag's work.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Taster

Very nice! I've tried to do the same thing - however being rather challenged when it comes to photography, after about 2 bottles and 40 pictures not being good enough I gave up! I'd love to see more photos...

Enthusiast

Great looking picture.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    That's a nice picture Os. A lot of contrast. How do you get that white background, that doesn't look like anything? The bottle looks like it's floating. I'd be interested in viewing a series, as you shoot them. Post 'em on up.
    I don't know squadush about photography. My only credentials in rating photography, is that I've studied several volumes of Arny Freytag's work.
    I shot it on white seamless, which also served as a bounce to help illuminate the beautiful amber contents.
    LifeEpicurean.com | What We Are Meant to Live For

Connoisseur

That is a great picture. It would be cool to pick your favorite bottle and do a time laps of it as it goes down.

Great photo Oz. I like your idea about taking pics of every new bottle you get. If you do it, we will view it. I like photography too, but I must admit my wife is much better at it than I am. Keep the pics coming. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Novice

Great shot. I enourage you to take some photos at some of the distillaries. I have been looking for some photos to frame for my home office. I cannot find any. Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace have great photos in their brochures, but they were taken by hired professionals. They do not seem to be interested in sharing them or selling them. It is also a good reason to visit the distillaries.

Advanced Taster

Fantastic product shot! Your lighting is excellent.

I was making a Weller SR Old Fashioned the other day and got a wild hair to make a photograph of it. I set it on a black T-shirt and used window light. Just a quick handheld shot...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --
    in aqua vitae veritas
    Todd in Cheesecurdistan
    www.blueolives.com
    www.chicagopitbulls.org

Guru

The shot of the bottle of Booker's looks great but the Old Fashioned is mouth watering.

Great pictures!