Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

hello from florida

i have always been a scotch guy, but i find i cant really afford to compare them as one should. so began my search for a new drink. i have to admit that i had never even tried bourbon till about 3 weeks ago. thanks to you all though i had a head start because i read alot about bourbon before i purchased my first bottle, mainly from this site as i research everything, and had a little knowledge when i went shopping.

here is what i got:
    knob creek, eagle rare 10, wild turkey 101

what i thought:

knob creek: bought this over makers mark. good not great. nice flavor. alcohol was fine. i will drink the whole bottle, but prob wont buy another one.
    then i tried

eagle rare 10: lets just say i love this bottle!! from the first drop that hit my lips it was like heaven opened up and shown a light down upon me! i could easily make this my everyday drink. oh and any info as to any other bottles that you all feel i may like as good as this one i would love to hear.
    then i tried

wild turkey 101: flavor was very good. this bourbon is definately better than the knob creek, although the alcohol is a little high and i do need to get used to that.

well thats all my experience so far. that ER10 made me forget all about scotch! i cant wait to keep learning and tasting. any recomendations on my next purchase would be greatly appreciated. i live in central florida near tampa so thats where ill be doing most of my shopping.

thanks for all the help

Guru

Re: hello from florida

Welcome to SB.com. Please feel free to make liberal use of the search function if you have not already. There's a wealth of information contained within the pages of this site that may answer many of the questions you have as a new bourbon drinker.

The three bourbons are good starts. They are easily recognizable as they are more of the mass produced bourbons and ones people typically recognize when looking for bourbon. There are many different bourbons and whiskey's that are good to try in order to increase your palate awareness. Here are a couple of my suggestions:

Four Roses Single Barrel
    Old Weller Antique
    Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond
    Old Forester Signature
    George Dickel #12 (TN Whiskey)

These will help stretch and develop your palate. Please see this link on affordable bourbons and whiskeys for beginners. Have fun.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Connoisseur

Welcome to SB. Nice pick ups for your first bottles. Give the knob creek a little time in the bottle before you go back to it. You may be surprised with it after you let it sit a while.
    As for recommendations there are a lot of people on there that are better at recommending bourbon to start with then I am.

Advanced Taster

Welcome to the site. A wheated bourbon would also help you understand the differences in bourbon a bit more.

These are some bourbons that I recommend for starters.

Elmer T Lee - This is one of my all time favorites. It's sweet and bottled at 90 proof. It's about $23 a bottle and drinks like desert.

Weller 12 or Weller Special Reserve - These are both wheated bourbons. You'll find they taste quite different from the traditional rye flavored bourbons. Greg recommended the Old Weller Antique, but that's 107 proof and might be a bit much based on your opinion of the WT 101.

For starters, I'd pick up those. They're all delicious and quite affordable too. Let me know what you think.

Welcome to the boards. You've come to the right place if you want to learn more about bourbon. Good people, good times, and lot's of info at your fingertips. If you really want to get some good recommendations and reviews on different bourbons, do a little homework and check the history of some of the threads here. You might be surprised at just how much information you can find when you do a little digging. Other than that, have some fun, make sure you keep posting, and again, welcome. Joe

PS. ER 10/90 is one of my favorite bourbons too.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"