Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ultimate newbie question

Ok, i expect to get laughed at for this one but here goes anyway. Is there a way to get past the burn, like any tips or tricks. I have spent several hundred dollars int he past few months on good burbons scotches etc, and really can't get past the burn if i drink it straight. I drink a lot of wine and craft beer, i know how to taste, but the strong stuff kicks my ass. So other than adding water coke etc, what can i do?

Virtuoso

Re: ultimate newbie question

Quote Originally Posted by Gibb View Post
    Ok, i expect to get laughed at for this one but here goes anyway. Is there a way to get past the burn, like any tips or tricks. I have spent several hundred dollars int he past few months on good burbons scotches etc, and really can't get past the burn if i drink it straight. I drink a lot of wine and craft beer, i know how to taste, but the strong stuff kicks my ass. So other than adding water coke etc, what can i do?
    I started drinking my bourbon on the rocks (3 cubes) and letting it mellow out for a few minutes before drinking it. One night when I did not have any ice, I tried watering it down and got used to that. Slowly I got to where I used less water, and now I take it straight.

Don't apologize for using ice or water... eventually you will get to where you want more taste (especially if you are buying premium bourbons).
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

Gibb,

I'd suggest diluting with a little room temperature water, either bottled or deionized (filtered). Set up some experiments such as 1:1 dilution of bourbon and water or 1:4 bourbon and water to where you like it best and then try with a little higher concentration of bourbon. Drink at a concentration that you are comfortable with for a while and then make a drink a little stronger and then drink that for a while.

If nothing else, bourbon does not have to be drank neat.

Good luck.

Will

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Hey, Gibby. Throw one of your bottles in the fridge. Chilling it down that way can take the edge off. And, since there's no ice to melt, you don't risk diluting the flavors you still want to experience. I always have a bottle chilling in the fridge, for those times my pipes are a little raw. Good luck!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I find ice works well to dull the burn on most bourbons, but if I don't want to 'water down' my pour, taking very small sips tends to help with all but the hottest bourbons.

Guru

Other than adding water, try smaller sips. beyond that, I agree with Special Reserve. Dilute with room temprature water.

You may find, as I do, that using ice or chilling it only accentuates the ethanol and blunts the flavors.

It may be seen like sacrilege here on a bourbon web site, but if you are new to whiskey in general, give Irish a try. For a non whiskey drinker, It is probably the easiest whiskey type to learn to appreciate. Then simply expand your horizons from there.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

nothing wrong with a couple of ice cubes or cutting with water, especially on the barrel proof bottles. The highest score ever in the SB Taster of the Year contest was Randy Blank and he put ice in his taste samples.

Taster

Breathing.

Inhale through the nose, exhale all of your breath until your lungs are empty through your mouth.

Sip your whiskey. Swallow and close your mouth shut.

Inhale through your nose, exhale through your mouth again.

It really works.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am...

so ice or water don't completly destroy the flavors, didn't expect that. i think i will try that with my bottle of elijah craig, gonna try that breathing thing too.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gibb View Post
    so ice or water don't completly destroy the flavors, didn't expect that.
    Well ya gotta be able to drink it to appreciate it.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.