Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suggestions for a new bourbon drinker

First, I just wanted to say hey to everyone, and also, if this needs to be in the "New Member" forum, mods please move it, and I apologize.

Second, I have a question...I am pretty new to bourbons. I have enjoyed a Beam and Coke on many occasions, but usually drink beer, and have never have gotten into the higher-end bourbons and drinking them straight. I'll admit I'm not used to the burn that whiskey has, and for starters I'd like to try something pretty mellow with not so much burn (it's ok to laugh if ya want ). What are a few suggestions for a good "starter"? As I said, something pretty mellow and smooth, to get me used to the "burn". Price isn't a huge issue (I don't mind spending $50-60 a bottle), but I can't be dropping $100 on something at this point unless I know I just love the stuff. Anyway, thanks in advance for any suggestions, and I'm glad to be a member here.

Connoisseur

Re: Suggestions for a new bourbon drinker

Makers Mark is easy to find and I find it smooth. Also Weller 12 is one that I find goes down easy.
    Todd

Thanks. Sorry if this gets to be an old topic, I suspect it's been discussed on here a time or two before.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by westky View Post
    Thanks. Sorry if this gets to be an old topic, I suspect it's been discussed on here a time or two before.
    Yeah, check "the ultimate newbie question" just below your thread for more tips on reducing 'burn'.

Advanced Taster

try some Elmer T. Lee single barrel (~$30/750ml), one of the many good bourbons from the Buffalo Trace facilities.

I like it on a couple or three rocks, and it goes down dangerously easy that way and tastes pretty fantastic all the while.
    True Liquid-Love: Pappy 15 . Lot B . GTStagg . ETLee . VWFRRye . Baby Saz

I think you perfectly described Basil Hayden's it's expensive about $40 a bottle but I think it's just what your looking for.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Enthusiast

I would give Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year, 90 proof a go. Runs about $22 here, and I personally find it very drinkable. Obviously, each person has different thoughts... but for low price that's my top pick.

Virtuoso

First, pour out the Beam (maybe into a glass with some coke).

Second, start practicing by drinking as much as possible.

Just kidding.

No need to spend $50 or $60 on a bottle as there are many fine bourbons $20 and less. Many on here enjoy the Weller whiskies. I do also but my favorite cheap bourbon Is Evan Williams. Give it a try. If there's a bit of burn, add a little water or ice and try to balance flavor versus burn.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

P.S. - Wanna "better" bottle that may cost a few bucks more? Get some VW lot b.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Virtuoso

where in Western Kentucky are you?

-bk
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Trippah and Admin

Here's a great thread for beginners:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=8142
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?