Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Bill Samuels Speaks

Bill Samuels speaks to the Bluegrass Hospitality Association.

coverage here and here
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Re: Bill Samuels Speaks

Neither article reports what type of reaction Bill Samuels received from his remarks. No doubt he was most likely in a friendly room but I would still like to know if there were smiles and nods or was there scoffs and booing.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Disciple

Man has a point. It's too bad they are throttling the golden goose.

What would KY have outside of horses and bourbon?

Sounds like it's time to join the 21st century instead of going backwards to the 18th and the "taxation w/out representation" model.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Guru

Last year, Rep. Steve Riggs, a Louisville Democrat, suggested that only "wet" counties should receive the benefits of future alcohol taxes. In a General Assembly dominated by legislators from those mostly rural "dry" counties, the idea went nowhere.
    It may have went nowhere but it demonstrates both the greed and hypocrisy that those legislators from dry counties have exhibited. And for that very point, should be hammered home at every opportunity. Politicians may be shameless but no one wants to be made to look like a hypocrite. Hypocrisy is one thing that even relatively uninformed voters take notice of.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Its time to thinking about reversing the trend on Sin Taxes and start taxing things that are not sins. I think a five cent tax on throw pillows would generate more dollars than an alchohol tax. (I hate throw pillows) How about decorative candles, flower bulbs, area rugs and plastic lawn chairs.
    Why stop there. Plastic Deck lumber, lawn fertilizer and cutesie holiday flags.

Last but not least, paving stones, castle block and cobblestones that line driveways.

All useless luxury items that people will buy whatever the price is.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The back story on this is interesting, in that the KDA has a new, young leader who is shaking things up and showing his members (i.e., the distilleries) how to lobby and promote effectively. I also believe Mr. Gregory is smart enough to have picked a fight he believes he can win. Bill Samuels is the ideal spokesperson because he is always good copy.
    Last edited by cowdery; 05-15-2009 at 13:34.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I've got a better idea. Tax churches. Maybe a tithe on tithes.

Render unto Caesar...
    Actually, most churches should likely be taxed, as they can loose their tax exemptions by speaking out for/against political policies....where did I read that...?

here's an about.com article on it.

Most people are aware that a church or religious organization can lose their tax exempt status for engaging in partisan political activity, like endorsing a political candidate. What many aren't aware of, though, is that the same can happen for promoting or engaging in things contrary to government policy. Tax exemption is a privilege, not a right.
    I feel this thread will quickly get moved to the PR&C area...

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I don't think anyone supposes that no one in dry counties drinks and although some of them do buy from bootleggers, most do not. They buy legally where it is legal to sell and they pay the taxes. For that matter, bootleggers and their customers pay their taxes too, since virtually all bootlegged liquor is bought legally at retail, with all taxes paid. That's why it's not unfair that dry counties should share in alcohol tax revenues or that legislators from dry counties should support higher alcohol taxes. "Dry" just means no sales outlets. It is legal everywhere in Kentucky for persons of legal age to possess and consume alcoholic beverages, and there are tax-paying alcohol consumers in every Kentucky county.

AH, but a large number of those counties that are dry aren't very close to wet counties in KY, so the tax revenue is lost to another state. Also those dry counties waste tax revenue going after bootleggers instead of spending that money on more important duties.

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    ...It is legal everywhere in Kentucky for persons of legal age to possess and consume alcoholic beverages, and there are tax-paying alcohol consumers in every Kentucky county.
    I'm not 100 percent sure what your reasoning is. I think you mean that because it is a State tax, dry counties should have their say too? In a sense, I must grudgingly admit you are right. But the hypocrisy exhibited by the drys is blatant. They want to prevent within their borders what they see as "sin" but they still want to financially benefit from it.

I'm reminded of when California passed their ban on rifles chambered in .50 BMG, Ronnie Barret, Owner and CEO of Barrett Firearms Manufacturing Inc. decided not to sell any of his guns in California, and that includes selling to city or state agencies. I guess his reasoning was that if anti-Second Amendment California politicians wanted to vilify his products, the state and the cities within it, shouldn't benefit from them in a law enforcement capacity.