Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Economical Bourbon Consumption

How many drinks do we have a week? And we drink what? ( as good as we can stand no doubt) I personally had a touch of Wathens today. Can it get any better?
    I would like to propose that we try something here , I realize we try to set the bar high , but let's go low one time. I am going to break a seal on a bottle of Ten High and that is going to be my everyday pour for a while. I'm going to drink Ten High, I'll fantasize that it's Blanton's , I'll pretend it's Wathen's, I'll delude myself into believing that I am drinking the finest bourbon that has poured forth from the copper and oak! How long will it last? Who Knows? Any takers? Better than Birthday Bourbon!
    I'll let you know when I start, and how long it lasts. I'm thinking of my OFBB ,Wathens ,Eagle Rare SB Weller 19, OF86, Knob Creek and ORVW107 10year It's already starting to look like a bad idea!

Administrator in exile

Re: Economical Bourbon Consumption

Here here! A toast to Bobby's frugalness! It might make it a little easier if you pour your Ten High into an empty Blanton's or Wathen's bottle.

Apprentice

Not knowing anything about Ten High I did a search and came up with this quote:

"For what it's worth, I like the regular Ten High but find it rather thin. Unusually so, in fact. I think every other bourbon I've ever tried had a "fuller" or "richer" flavor than Ten High.
    doug"

Are you sure you picked the right control bourbon for your test?

John F

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

[/QUOTE]

Well, Beam White came to mind , also Old Crow and Cabin Still. Out of all that I think Ten High is an Honest 6 dollar Bourbon. For some reason Beam White isn't a very economical choice , depending on where one buys it , it can be as high as 14 dollars . That's in the good old " Bourbon? We love it!" State of Kentucky!
    I believe my first drink will be Wathens/Ten High
    I do have an empty Woodford bottle.

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Calling Dr. Whilps!

Come in Dr. Whilps! It seems our friend Bobby here is just a tad bit delusional. Can you help him? Please say yes! Now calm down Bobby. This is only going to hurt a little bit. &lt; Psst... Is the seringe ready???&gt; Thorizne Shuffle one three &gt; &gt; Hut..Hut..Hike! Mmmmmmmmmm....my name Jose Hemanes.

Advanced Taster

I have arrived. What have we here...poor skin tone, mood agitated, labile affect.
    Delusions and clouded reality-testing...Wait a minute, let me get a bit closer to him...Ladies and gentlemen, please note the fishy, seaweed odor of the patient's breath, the way his pronunciation of "r" is blurred, and his compulsion to take off his trousers and pull on a skirt...Someone has slipped sc***h into this poor soul's Ten High bottle! Grand Rounds are now concluded.

Dr. Wilps

**DONOTDELETE**

DAMITALLTOHELL! Thanks Raplh! I just knew that the evil sc**th was to blame! Bobby put down that seemingly innocent bottle of Ten High - now pick up that bottle of Kentucky Spirit and repeat after me - "There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home." That's right Bobby just lay back and go to sleep now. Auntie Em - quick take the bottle of Ten High away from him and HIT him with it! Maybe then he'll remember that Kentucky Spirit is the best quality-to-price ratio on the planet! DUH!

Connoisseur

There is in fact, no place like home. Dorothy and Toto are on the front plate of my car. Howeva, when bobbyc saaid:
    &lt;snip&gt;
    In reply to:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, Beam White came to mind , also Old Crow and Cabin Still. Out of all that I think Ten High is an Honest 6 dollar Bourbon. For some reason Beam White isn't a very economical choice , depending on where one buys it , it can be as high as 14 dollars . That's in the good old " Bourbon? We love it!" State of Kentucky!
    I believe my first drink will be Wathens/Ten High
    I do have an empty Woodford bottle.

Bobby Cox
    &lt;/snip&gt;
    His test referred to an 'everyday pour.' In Kentucky, we all pretty much drink Bourbon. And Bourbon drinking friends tend to hang together. This calls for copious amounts of Bourbon. Therefore, our definition of Everyday Pour may be a tad different from your's. What we mean by 'everyday pour' is the bottle we (set)sit on the table, available to damnear anyone that walks thru our door. Now, considering that everyone has a few friends, more money, more friends, blah, blah. Expontentially speaking...that's ALOT of Bourbon.
    Most of my friends that really drink Bourbon arrive with their own bottle. However, there are ususally several other people in tow. At least 50% of them will mix. There we have our variable.
    I completely understand bobbyec's research. Someone mentioned Ten High's thin taste, perhaps rightly so. That's been said of Evan Williams as well. EW is however, what I keep on the cabinet as an 'everyday pour' . I dun go 'breathless' when people mix it.
    We're exploring the 'by the bottle' reasonably priced stuff here.
    Later,
    Beej

Re: Toto, I Don\'t Believe We\'re in Kansas Anymore!

Damn with the good doctor ,and Linn attending , I'm afraid the cure is worse than the Illness!
    Thanks Beej for clearing some of it up!
    Rick just dropped by , for those at the cookout he was tending the grills for a bit. ( Still talks about Jim Butler giving him a Straight Bourbon Shirt) And before I set off on this course I've set. He and I had a few drinks. 19 Weller, 10 YO Single Barrel Eagle Rare, And everybody's favorite Old Forester Birthday Bourbon!
    I'm in search of an economical alternative to those 30 dollar and plus offerings . One that I'll be proud to offer such a sophisticated group as yourselves at Next years cookout! Hell I'll buy so much of it they do a custom label just for me........Amelia? I thought you were the nurse! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enthusiast

I don't know!? Ten High is an awful bad hand in poker! It can't be much better of a bourbon! H'wood (The comedian)