Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Economical Bourbon Consumption

Here is a blend of straight whiskeys I made recently (cocktail-style, making 4 ounces in total). I was attempting to duplicate the taste of Michter's as seen in Hirsch 16 years old. I followed Michael Jackson's information (1987) that the mash for Michter's was 50% corn, 38% rye and 12 percent barley malt. I took some Dickel, two ounces, added an ounce and a half of Lot 40 (the all-rye Canadian straight whisky) and a half ounce of Cape Breton Single Malt Whisky. The latter is an all-barley whisky made in Nova Scotia from unpeated malt. My proportions were not exact because the Dickel has some rye and barley malt too, but I was close enough. In the nose, the blend was similar to Michter's, it had that "flat" smell that I think comes from the barley malt. It tasted somewhat like Michter's too but was not of course the same. I asked a couple of people to blind-taste the two; each picked out the Michter's as better. So, I have some work to do. Still, I found the result interesting and enjoyable. (I am thinking now if I had used JD Single Barrel I'd have gotten closer to the smoky quality of Hirsch 16). Michter's of course mixed the grains in one mash and did not blend different whiskies. That alone would make a big difference, I guess. Still, I feel my approach is legitimate too - some Canadian distillers blend different straight whiskies into their ryes, e.g. they will add some corn (bourbon-type) whisky, maybe some all-barley whisky, etc. (Some still add rum, sherry, prune juice or other flavourings following practices originated over 100 years ago by the blending and rectifying establishments of the time. Such non-whisky additions seem however only to make sense when using in the blend neutral spirits or whisky distilled at over 160 proof).

My next plan is to make an 1800's rye whiskey. I will add 1 part of the Cape Breton (or any unpeated or low-peated Scotch single malt, e.g. Balvenie) to 4 parts of the Lot 40. As they used to say then, hey presto!

Cy

Enthusiast

Excellent idea. I had some Old Overholt sitting here with nothing to do, since I really prefer Wild Turkey Rye and the Van Winkle for my rye & ginger, Sazeracs, & Manhattans. I just poured out a 2 oz shot from each bottle of my ABPF blend and replaced it with Old Overholt. Divided ~ 6 oz of Wild Turkey 101 among the ABPF bottles as well & wound up with almost one more full bottle.

The rye & Turkey really perked up the blend. Thanks for the tip.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Good work, glad the Overholt's helped, I commend you on your willingness to innovate!

Cy

Enthusiast

My ABPF blend is officially a big hit, I've given two bottles away to my bourbon-drinking cronies who've both pronouced it VERY tasty. Both declared it 'smooth and spicy' which isn't a bad thing in Bourbonic circles. They both also agreed that there's no way in the world to beat it @ $7 per 750ml. I'm going to quit showing it off now, tho', my stockpile is dwindling.

Since the first experiment was so much fun, yesterday I took an empty decanter, poured in 2 oz. of Wild Turkey 101 proof, 2 oz. of Old Forrester 100 proof. 3 oz of Knob Creek and 1 oz. of Wild Turkey Rye 101 proof. Now THATS a blend, the OF/KC/WT seem to complement each other well, with one's honey & one's spice bringing up the other's vanilla and that extra shot of high-proof rye spicing the mixture up. I prefer higher proof whiskey, so when the ABPF whiskey runs low, I think I'll replace it with this Wild Turkey 101/KC/OF 100/Wild Turkey Rye mix. I'm going to buy a 1.75 jug of WT101 on sale later this week to help provide insurance for the future.

Enthusiast

Quick update: I mingled another batch exactly as before, but I added 1.75L bottles of Wild Turkey 101, Old Forester 86, and Old Charter 10 yr/86 to the mixture. I gave away a lot of bottles of my blend over the holidays. It was an even bigger hit with my friends, several have asked me to give them bottles of this for their birthday, the 4th of July, Cinco de Mayo...whatever. "Just keep it coming" seems to be the general consensus.

Enthusiast

I could be your friend too.........

May 25th