Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Toto, I Don\'t Believe We\'re in Kansas Anymore!

Damn with the good doctor ,and Linn attending , I'm afraid the cure is worse than the Illness!
    Thanks Beej for clearing some of it up!
    Rick just dropped by , for those at the cookout he was tending the grills for a bit. ( Still talks about Jim Butler giving him a Straight Bourbon Shirt) And before I set off on this course I've set. He and I had a few drinks. 19 Weller, 10 YO Single Barrel Eagle Rare, And everybody's favorite Old Forester Birthday Bourbon!
    I'm in search of an economical alternative to those 30 dollar and plus offerings . One that I'll be proud to offer such a sophisticated group as yourselves at Next years cookout! Hell I'll buy so much of it they do a custom label just for me........Amelia? I thought you were the nurse! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enthusiast

Re: Economical Bourbon Consumption

I don't know!? Ten High is an awful bad hand in poker! It can't be much better of a bourbon! H'wood (The comedian)

Beej Said:
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Most of my friends that really drink Bourbon arrive with their own bottle. /

Why do I think the rest of this , had you written it goes like; "Or they aren't my friends for long!"
    Sorry Beej , I know that you are too kind hearted to say it , so I'll say it for you!
    Of course you could take the high road , Blast me for being so callous, remind every one here that Bobby said it, not you.....Yeah Yeah right , go ahead the path is clear!

Connoisseur

&lt;snip&gt;
    Blast me for being so callous, remind every one here that Bobby said it, not you.....Yeah Yeah right , go ahead the path is clear!
    &lt;/snip&gt;
    Why Bobby, I would neva, eva blast you for such a thing. You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Plus, you can read me like a book...
    Beej

Well I guess " Cooler Heads will Prevail" I'm sort of back to reality. My fascination with Stagg while probably a never ending one , has subsided for a while . I haven't got out the Ten High yet, But an economical choice( $10 something) is what I'm partaking of this evening. I am enjoying it immensly. Yellow Label 4 Roses. Only 80 proof but a fine drink for the price. One certainly doesn't have to be concerned that you're drinking yourself into financial oblivion with this one! My inspiration for this is that the 4 Roses Single Barrel bottling line will be firing up next week. A run of a few less than 12,000 bottles , all destined for France or Japan. I was told something interesting about it. The Single Barrel only wieghs in around 86 proof so it's not that much stronger than 80. By someone who knows , If you bought the Yellow Label for 10 and the SB for 50. You would be dissappointed . The difference doesn't justify the increased price.Of course we'll never know. I might drive out a tank of gas looking for Stagg but I sure as hell ain't going to Japan or France for their Bourbon. And they don't sell it here.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Bobby,
    I'm tailgating at a UK football game and we've just lost in the last two seconds. I blurt out that what I really need to console my spirit is a shot of Four Roses Single Barrel, like we sampled at the Bourbon Festival Gala. The gentleman next to me says he's got a bottle sitting at his house. My wife tells him how she loves the bottle, so he gives it to her. Its sitting on a dresser next to two Four Roses glasses and she won't let me touch it. How do I get it??? Any Suggestions!!!

This is easy, If she hasn't tasted it yet , find something of a similiar shade of amber and switch it out. Be sure that if you put the good stuff in an Old Crow bottle you secure it so it doesn't end up in the punch or something. If she has tasted some, you will have to let a little time pass , to do the change up. Could you bribe her with Stagg or Birthday Bourbon? Here comes the bad part, if she is a very sophisticated, and discriminating Bourbon drinker, ( Why do I begin to feel that this may really be the case?) It will be an uphill battle. She will know that YOU put Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek in that bottle.

**DONOTDELETE**

Gentlemen you haven't a clue how to handle your wives. It's very simple. SPANK THEM! Spank them hard! Then LOVE them hard. That's all it takes. If you can't do that it is because you've been drinkin' 'UnAmerican Whiskey'. Never;ever drink that crappy assed shit. Do spank your wives and girlfriends. Make them give you what you want. Never take 'NO' for an answer. Stand on your own three feet!

Enthusiast

Thought I'd bring this one back up to the top. Since I've been laid off a while I can testify that there's something to be said for economy. Luckily I still have quite a collection of bourbon, I'm not forced to do without when a celebration is called for. But I won't be replenishing many of the 'top shelf' bottles for a while, they've got to last me. With that in mind a reasonably priced, decent everyday pour sounds like a grand idea.

I was dusting the bourbon shelves today and realized the bottom shelf held half of a 1.75L of 90 proof Evan Williams 7 yr, an almost full 1.75 of Ten High that I got on sale, tasted and put down on the bottom shelf 'for later' and I had an open bottle of Old Charter 8 yr. I also had several empty Knob Creek bottles, labels removed, cleaned and ready to put to use (I save various bottles because I like the shape, and eventually refill 'em with vinegar, liqueurs, whatever. I particularly like these Knob Creek flasks).

I mixed the EW 7, Ten High and OC 8 together, tasted, decided it was still a bit thin so I opened &amp; added a fifth of Ezra Brooks 90 to the mix. The 'corny sweet' EB 90 brought the body up, so I decided to quit and leave well enough alone. I refilled 6 of the empty Knob Creek flasks to the top, recorked myself a little over a gallon of home-vatted bourbon.
    I won't tell you this is the best whiskey I ever drank, but it's not half bad, the Ezra/Evan 7/Old Charter 8 gave lots more body to the rather thin Ten High. And it's ABPF. Already been paid for. Bingo, a decent ABPF everyday pour.
    I never seemed to reach for those 1.75 jugs on the bottom shelf, just too much trouble to pour from the 1.75 jug into a shotglass. So they sat for a year or so. But these ABPF flasks will sure get put to use. And with all these bottles recycled and/or used up, there's room for more bourbon when the paychex start up again.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

As a fan of intelligent blending, I say, well-done. I'd advise adding at some point a measure of straight rye (e.g. Old Overholt), to give a little more depth and flavour, but it sounds like you've done very well as it is. The Ten High alone might be a little light but would marry well with the EW and EB whiskeys which are rich and corn-oriented but might lack complexity taken alone in their turn. The idea to blend straight bourbons ("a blend of straight whiskies" used to be a sign of quality on a whiskey label) makes sense, to bring out the best of each product. A good shot of any straight rye would I think be a perfect "top dressing" (old Scottish blending term) for this blend, adding possibly depth and savour.

Cy