Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southern California.
    Posts
    58

    Need some help with a couple of dusties

    My neighbor gave me a couple of old bottles from the 70's or 80's. both unopened. One came in a wooden box with Eagle Rare 101 proof ten years old written on it. In the box is a bottle and two rocks glasses. the glasses have the Eagle Rare logo and the 101 proof.

    The other is an Owl bottle, gray in color. It had a label that says Beam 100 monthes old.

    My question is does anyone know, first, if the whiskey is good, and second, ane they worth any money because they have never been opened. I would also like to know the dates these things were produced.

    Thanks in advance,
    Brian

  2. #2
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Livonia, MI
    Posts
    2,066

    Re: Need some help with a couple of dusties

    I don't know about that Owl bottle, but that Eagle Rare 101 is dangerous, you should forward it to me for proper disposal. As a chemist, I best qualified to properly dispose of it.

    Will

    PS. The Eagle Rare is a treasure and is worth drinking

  3. #3
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: Need some help with a couple of dusties

    The Eagle Rare 10 101 was discontinued 3 years or so ago by Buffalo Trace. They do still sell a Eagle Rare 10 YO, but at 90 proof. It is packaged in a different bottle than yours. Somewhat a dusty collectible; we still have plenty of the liquor store shelves here in Houston.

    The owl bottle is a ceramic decanter. They sold these more as collectibles for the decanters than for the whiskey. Properly stored, the bourbon is fine, but I would not expect anything more than standard Jim Beam Black.

  4. #4
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Shore Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,604

    Re: Need some help with a couple of dusties

    I disagree... I've sampled several Beam decanters of that era and while they're short of any of the classic "Olds" (Fitzgerald, Taylor, Crow, Grand-Dad) of similar vintage, I find them to be quite a bit tastier and more complex than anything Beam puts out today.

    (That said, the ER 10/101 is the prize. Which distillery? And wade, I'd be happy to give a lonely dusty Houston bottle a new home in Boston!)
    Kevin

    "Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

  5. #5
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Swaziland, Africa
    Posts
    1,493

    Re: Need some help with a couple of dusties

    Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post


    (That said, the ER 10/101 is the prize. Which distillery? And wade, I'd be happy to give a lonely dusty Houston bottle a new home in Boston!)

    Me too... Me too!!!!
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

  6. #6
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Va
    Posts
    643

    Re: Need some help with a couple of dusties

    well if you are going to the post office then send me one to
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

  7. #7
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wash DC Metro
    Posts
    2,409

    Re: Need some help with a couple of dusties

    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog918 View Post
    My neighbor gave me a couple of old bottles from the 70's or 80's. both unopened. One came in a wooden box with Eagle Rare 101 proof ten years old written on it. In the box is a bottle and two rocks glasses. the glasses have the Eagle Rare logo and the 101 proof.

    The other is an Owl bottle, gray in color. It had a label that says Beam 100 monthes old.

    My question is does anyone know, first, if the whiskey is good, and second, ane they worth any money because they have never been opened. I would also like to know the dates these things were produced.

    Thanks in advance,
    Brian
    Brian,

    You're questions have been answered in part. As for the value of the bourbon, please see this link to give you some information. The reality is that those bottles are only worth what someone is willing to pay. For those of us here on this site, it's about drinking and enjoying those older bottles. The Eagle Rare 101 is a personal favorite of mine. As StraightBoston pointed out, the older Beam is better than the current release. I have a bottle from 1982 and think it's a better bourbon.

    If you drink bourbon, open them and enjoy them. I hope this helps.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

  8. #8
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southern California.
    Posts
    58

    Re: Need some help with a couple of dusties

    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Brian,

    You're questions have been answered in part. As for the value of the bourbon, please see this link to give you some information. The reality is that those bottles are only worth what someone is willing to pay. For those of us here on this site, it's about drinking and enjoying those older bottles. The Eagle Rare 101 is a personal favorite of mine. As StraightBoston pointed out, the older Beam is better than the current release. I have a bottle from 1982 and think it's a better bourbon.

    If you drink bourbon, open them and enjoy them. I hope this helps.
    Thanks Greg and everyone who has replyed. If it is true that the ER 101 isn't being produced anymore than it might be worth just drinking. I'm not in it for profit, like you said Greg, it's all about drinking good bourbon. However, if these are woth something to some one who collects and appreciates these type of bottles then I don't mind letting it go.

    I'm just curious about the whiskey; how old it is, the quality and if it is something special. So any info along those lines is appreciated.

    After reading these treads I'm tempted to open the ER 101 and enjoy.

    Brian

  9. #9
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wash DC Metro
    Posts
    2,409

    Re: Need some help with a couple of dusties

    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog918 View Post
    Thanks Greg and everyone who has replyed. If it is true that the ER 101 isn't being produced anymore than it might be worth just drinking. I'm not in it for profit, like you said Greg, it's all about drinking good bourbon. However, if these are woth something to some one who collects and appreciates these type of bottles then I don't mind letting it go.

    I'm just curious about the whiskey; how old it is, the quality and if it is something special. So any info along those lines is appreciated.

    After reading these treads I'm tempted to open the ER 101 and enjoy.

    Brian
    Brian,

    A lot of the bottles and decanters should have a 2 digit number on the bottom of the bottle that indicates the year. For the ER101 bottle, flip it over and orient the letters and number so you can read them. You should find the 2 digit number in the lower right portion of the bottom. For the decanter, the two digit may or may not be there. If the decanter and ER101 bottle are in ml or L, then that would date them later 70's and later since the metric conversion took plate in 1980.

    You may get some PM's from folks looking to trade in some fashion.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

  10. #10
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southern California.
    Posts
    58

    Re: Need some help with a couple of dusties

    OK,

    The ER 101 is a 750ml 1983 and the Beam is a 750ml 1979. Both are un-opened and still have the tax stamps intact. I'm thinking I should be drinking these. What do you guys think?
    Brian

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. A couple of brand questions
    By TBoner in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2007, 20:00
  2. A couple of finds today
    By CrispyCritter in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-13-2005, 06:42
  3. Going to Louisville in a couple of weeks
    By RedVette in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-13-2005, 14:38
  4. Couple of Canadians
    By Gillman in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 11:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top