Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Taster

If you had one choice to make...

As I've written here before...here in Hawaii, a lot of Bourbon brands are hard to come by. We basically have all the mainstream, mass market brands in our liquor stores, and a few bars will occasionally carry some other brands...but all in all, there seems to be literally hundreds of brands of Bourbon that ya'all discuss on this board that I have almost no hope of ever seeing here.

So here's the basis for my question: I'm going to the mainland for my sister-in-law's wedding this weekend. I'm planning on stopping off at Lee's Discount Liquor Warehouse, as the last time I was there, I noticed they literally had an extensive section of Bourbon. This was back when I was much more of a Scotch guy, and I was there looking for a bottle of Talisker 18 year...so I paid a little attention to the Bourbon, but not too much.

Now, however, I have to say that Bourbon has literally changed my palate. This is both good AND bad. Scotch's I used to love...don't taste the same to me anymore. I still like 'em...just not as much as I used to...and I'm positive that a steady diet of Bourbon is responsible!

But I digress...

My real question for ya'all is this: given the current economic hard times (I'm hurting bad...one of the reasons why I started drinking Bourbon in the first place - far cheaper than the Single Malt Scotch I had grown so fond of,) if you were in my shoes, and you were going to be in a store that had a huge selection available that you knew you couldn't get back at home...and you had a very limited budget ($60 Tops!), which Bourbon would you choose to buy?

I'm planning on one...maybe two bottles.

I want to get a bourbon that is at a high proof (100 minimum), but is not too pricey, and not something that I can find easily here in the Islands.

Here are the Bourbon's I can get in Hawaii...

Maker's Mark, Just about all of the Jim Beam products, Woodford's Reserve, Evan Williams, Bulleit, WT101.

I also have found that I tend to favor the Rye-heavy whiskey's over the wheaters (well, the only wheater I've had the chance to try is MM, so I could be wrong).

What suggestions would you guys make?
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am...

Guru

Re: If you had one choice to make...

WTRB and /or OGD 114
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

yep, go with the Old Grand-Dad 114
    for a wheater, Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107.
    ovh

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If you can find Rittenhouse Rye, get that. It's cheap too. See if they have any of the Heaven Hill BIBs, such as J.T.S. Brown or J.W. Dant, also good, also cheap. If Old Forester isn't available in the islands, that's also good and cheap. Weller is a good suggestion, as is Eagle Rare or Elmer T. Lee.

Taster

Thanks guys!

I'll be looking out for those...if they really are that cheap, I may get to grab several bottles!

Taster

BTW - is any of the "Four Roses" cheap? Or is that all top shelf, pricey stuff?

Oh, and Chuck, thanks for the Rittenhouse recommendation. I really like Bulleit and the Jim Beam Rye...just wish it were a higher proof. Is WT Rye relatively cheap too?

How does WT Rye compare to Rittenhouse?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Waiahi View Post
    BTW - is any of the "Four Roses" cheap? Or is that all top shelf, pricey stuff?
    Four Roses Yellow label is regularly $20 here, but it was on sale for $10.99 in one of my regular stops recently here on the gulf coast. Someone else posted that the Yellow label was on sale for $12 in the Northeast. So, you might find it on sale in Cali. I was tempted to pick up one, but I was on a mission for a particular bottle. Next time! I like the Four Roses Single Barrel at $40 (the only FR I've tried). It's not as rye-heavy as Wild Turkey Rare Breed, but close. I think the Small Batch is $33.

Virtuoso

Van Winkle Lot B
    Sazerac Rye
    WT Rye
    Rock Hill Farms
    Rowans Creek
    Van Winkle 10/107
    OGD BiB
    ET Lee

Pick any two - or three if the price is right.

Enthusiast

Lot B & Pappy 15 are good but not exactly cheap +$55
    RR Rye & RR both over $25/bottle in my neighborhood

I'll go with OscarV & Chuck's picks - I believe all under $20/bottle (except for ER & ETL - both around $30/bottle)
    TJ
    Last edited by The Boozer; 06-03-2009 at 05:18.

Virtuoso

Old Fitz BIB
    Buffalo Trace
    EC 12
    VOB
    Rittenhouse BIB
    WT RR
    Weller 12
    Lot b
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz