Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM 06/09: (WT) Russell's Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by independant View Post
    I didn't know there was a difference in the 90 proofs except the labels. I will have to pick up a bottle of the old label to compare.
    Maybe there isn't, probably not, but I am going to open mine soon. (new label RR90 that is).
    ovh

Disciple

I have been looking forward to a bottle of this since the Sampler. It was my favorite on the Turkey table.

I dont like the 101 and have mixed feelings about the RRRye, but I really liked the RR 90.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Disciple

I have been wanting to try this bourbon but with so many on my bar that need to be tasted I haven't gotten around to it. Is this a wheater or a Rye? I have been finding myself really enjoying the wheat based bourbons...BT, ORVW 10/90, Lot B, etc...

Any recommendations on others that I might like?

Apprentice

I really don't care for the RR101 or the RR90 (old) either. I guess next time I go to a bar I will look to see if they have the (new) bottling and give it a try. Does anyone know if they sell this in a 50ml. If they do then I will try it. As for the RR rye I like it. There is something about that rye taste I can't put my finger on.
    Simple, Just The Way I Like It!!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    I have been finding myself really enjoying the wheat based bourbons...BT, ORVW 10/90, Lot B, etc...
    BT not a wheater, but sometimes I think the flavor grain is grass.
    ovh

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    I have been wanting to try this bourbon but with so many on my bar that need to be tasted I haven't gotten around to it. Is this a wheater or a Rye?
    Wild Turkey doesn't touch Wheat, every bourbon they make uses Rye as the flavor grain.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru

Enjoying some of the new label now. It seems sweeter in the nose than the old label but that could easily be my imagination. On the palate, though, the characteristic WT high-rye flavor comes through. Excellent stuff and excellent choice for BOTM.

And hectic, the WT family, along with OGD, Bulleit and a few others is considered a "high rye" bourbon, since it has a higher proportion of rye than most bourbons do.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Guess I know what I'm going to be picking up this weekend...I've been curious, especially since I had a taste of WTRR 101 (boy was that ever good!) I'll see if the new labels are at my usual sources. WTRR90 usually sells for $20 here.
    --
    in aqua vitae veritas
    Todd in Cheesecurdistan
    www.blueolives.com
    www.chicagopitbulls.org

Advanced Taster

Picked up a bottle at Woodmans, shelf price is $19.99. Slightly lighter in color than the standard 101. Initial nose is mostly corn and caramel, with some citrus. The corn sweetness carries onto the palate, but this doesn't have quite the burst of brown sugar that the WT101 has and the WTRR101 had in spades. Still, there is good body here and a nice, thick mouthfeel. This is followed by peppery spice, oak, and a hint of leather. The finish is a rather nice mix of corn sweetness and oak tannins. This is a somewhat more genteel spirit than the WT101 or RR101, but it is in no way a bad whiskey. The WTRR101 is a superior bourbon to be sure, but the RR90 seems to be an enjoyable drink and is a fine value at the price it sells for here. Indeed, a restaurant that features Makers Mark as its sole good bourbon would be remiss in not adding this bottling to their bar as it is quite approachable for a novice but would serve as a fine gateway to rye-recipe bourbons for the MM drinker. Even given the limitations of 90 proof and chill-filtering, Jimmy and Eddie have created a solid, inexpensive pour that is not only enjoyable neat but should shine in bourbon-based cocktails, no doubt a key market they were aiming for.
    --
    in aqua vitae veritas
    Todd in Cheesecurdistan
    www.blueolives.com
    www.chicagopitbulls.org

Guru

Tried the new-label version last night. Can't say it tastes appreciably different from the "old" 90 version. But then again, by taste mempry isn't up to that of others here.

Old or new, this is still a very fine whiskey in its own right. I would still prefer the WTRR101 expression, but the current offering stands well on its own.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."