Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: BOTM 06/09: (WT) Russell's Reserve

RR101 is one of my all time favs as it was one of the first bourbons I tried solely on recommendation from threads on SB.com. It educated me in the difference that can exist between a distillery's many different offerings, and to not judge a particular distillery solely on it's bottom shelfer. With that in mind, I can't wait to get out and try this RR90. I just have to make the time to drive to Cleveland or Akron to get it. The only decent bourbon I can find around here is EW single barrel.

Guru

Hey furnace1954, this is the first time I have seen a post from you.
    Welcome aboard, if you haven't been welcomed already.
    ovh

Taster

Furnace1954, nice post. I did the same thing. I have 4 bottles bunkered and would buy every bottle I can/could find.

Kendall

Got it, loved it, bring on the next!

Advanced Taster

I really do dislike the whole marketing aspect of this product...
    that being said, this juice is highly drinkable.
    very very good.

I love the orig RR101 and wish it was still in production and the bottle it came in but there is nothing wrong with the RR90. It is very tasty, almost too easy to drink at 90 proof. heh.

The bottle did not last long, it disappeared scary fast, heh, and I will purchase more.

I do love WT and hope that this marketing appearance change & lower proof is successful for WT so that they can make secret stashes of RR101 for us that don't mind a normal looking bottle.
    Rad! \m/ [/fantasy]

Cheers.
    Last edited by Phantos; 07-05-2009 at 12:30.
    Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Advanced Taster

Phantos - A secret bottling of RR101, great idea, where do I sign up?

I have always been a fan of the WT family and was quite dissapointed when RR dropped to 90 proof. While I know it was more to do with marketing and profit than taste it really seems to have worked out. The latest versions of RR have become my goto pour, they have the tastes I'm looking for in the WT family and just goes down easy when I'm looking for a nice drink after work.
    "I'm and optimist, even if the glass is half empty, there's still more in the bottle!!!!!"

Virtuoso

I'm a fan of the 10/101 version. I thought it was a decent pour when I first tried it but didn't share the enthusiasm so many on this forum have for it. It sat half empty for a few months and when I revisited it, WOW, loved it! Now I understand why it is so popular. It's tasty and balanced with a nice engaging finish.

Disciple

I have to go back and read this thread, been avoiding reading it untill I bought mine.

It has been on my list to purchase this bottle since I had some at the sampler in April. At the Turkey table I think they had the Regular, Kentucky Spirit and RR. I tried the RR and KS as I had had the Regular before and couldnt stand it. I started out with the KS and moved to the RR with a favorable impression. Since then I have been meaning to purchase a bottle and just havent gotten to it all the while pursing various other esoteric bottlings.

Well the secret is out for me, I love this stuff. The finish is fantastic, the wood is appropriate, the mouth feel is smooth, and the experience laudable. I love the way the wood comes through like freshly sanded oak. The entire drink reminds me of Saz. Jr. but less sweet and a bit less spicy. I like this stuff alot.

I think I have a new member to add to the family, Saz. Jr, ER 10/90, and RR 10/90 can call me anytime. They are all in the same ballpark pricewise here and all very satisfying to my palette.

Salute!
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Taster

Red face Re: BOTM 06/09: (WT) Russell's Reserve

I'm down to 2 bottles of the RR101 in my bunker. It was in my top 5 when in production. I was underwhelmed with the first offering of the RR90. So they have made changes to the most recent batch? Anyone done a side by side?

Virtuoso

Hi all... first post on here. I'm a newer bourbon drinker, and I have to say that so far, the RR/90 is one of my favorites. I'm finding that I like any Wild Turkey product that I've tried.