Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Taster

Re: BOTM 06/09: (WT) Russell's Reserve

Yep I Agree with the rye ebo.
    In my county, there is only one bottle. I need to get the state people to move some inventory.
    They are pretty good about it, but it might be September till it gets here!
    To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.
    Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

Virtuoso

So... I have read on a few other sites that RR101 is the sh*t. I can't find a bottle to try , so, I only have the 90 proof to go by. I'm drinking it right now, and I have to say that I am really enjoying this bourbon. So far, it is without a doubt, one of my favorites.

Advanced Taster

Smile Re: BOTM 06/09: (WT) Russell's Reserve

I have to say that I was not a fan of the RR101 when it was avaiable. I was a big fan of WTRB (still am) at the time and found the RR to be too mild in comparison. I do however like the RR90 a lot, maybe I'm getting old but it really brings out the best of the WT flavor profile in a very drinkable bourbon.
    "I'm and optimist, even if the glass is half empty, there's still more in the bottle!!!!!"

Virtuoso

Unlike most WT products in Japan, RR is quite a bit more expensive than in the US, about $40 where I buy (compare to WTRB for about $30 [700ml btl], $24 for a liter of 101 8y.o.). I put off buying it until I was in Illinois a few weeks ago.

I like a lot all the WT products I've had (101 8 y.o., Rye, Rare Breed, and RR90 [got a bottle of 12 y.o. I haven't cracked yet]), but I believe I like Russell's Reserve the best of the bunch. All are bursting with flavor, but it seems to me that RR has balanced that WT taste the best.

Taster

I must have completely opposite taste buds from many. I just tried my first bottle of RR90 (new packaging too) while at a friends in a nearby city and was wanting to write my thoughts as soon as I got home (2:00 am) and lo and behold it was BOTM, great timing!

I must say I LOVED the RR101, I always picked out a strong cinnamon note. I usually can't single out flavors. I have had Rare Bird, Kentucky Spirit, RR Rye, Rye 101, American Spirit, regular 101, so I am not a Turkey hater by any means.

RR90 is the first Bourbon (out of god knows how many) that I absolutely can not stand. This is the first bourbon I've ever "met" I didn't like!! Very sharp after taste. Kind of bitter. Just plain bad to me.

I guess that is why they make different bourbon - different tastes, but this one I just don't get. I have a friend who had some opinion on it, I think favorable, so he will probably get it. My wife suggested I "coke" it but I really don't think that would help. Very disappointed it wasn't just watered down RR101 - and if it is just that, it is amazing how much a little water can change some bourbons!

Hope I didn't offend anyone, I just may have weird tastebuds.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Isoflex View Post
    My wife suggested I "coke" it but I really don't think that would help.
    I remember liking rare breed a lot, and was dissapointed when I found the RR90 as bland as I did. However, don't try mixing this with coke. maybe it would work with a different soda, but if you mix it with coke it just tastes like you added a piece of charred oak to your coke. I must admit that I did try this one evening....

I can tell it's wild turkey, but it just isn't as big or deep as I've come to expect. The nose isn't that amazing (right now- after letting it settle I'm reminded of gentleman jack for some reason, memory works in strange ways), the taste dies too quickly, and the finish doesn't amaze me either- I must admit that having charred oak barrel coating the inside of my mouth isn't exactly the most pleasant thing in the world.

I would absolutely love to try the Russel's Reserve 101. I just can't find the depth of character in the RR90 whiskey that I find in the Rye 101 or the Rare Breed.
    Last edited by ErichPryde; 09-02-2009 at 10:13.

Novice

Thumbs up Re: BOTM 06/09: (WT) Russell's Reserve

RR is one of my favorite bourbons. I did not like the first expression, but the current was recommended. I tried it found a totally different experience. It opens up very nicely over ice. Take cubes of ice. Cover it with RR and enjoy. It goes especially good with whatever your grill. Just start grilling, then start sipping. Finish up as you eat and I think you will want to enjoy it again and again.

Virtuoso

I was lucky enough to find a few of the RR101's and have some bunkered. I haven't tried the newer version but I can say that the 101 is a Bourbon that really benefits from having the bottle open a while. I have a lot of bottles open att any one time and I consume slowly so a Bourbon can sit for months between tastings. The RR101 just got better as time went on.

Taster

RR has become my go-to bourbon. I'm not sure it's my favorite, but it has the best combination of price and drinkability that makes it my standard drink.