Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Novice

Re: Wheat's vs Rye's

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Weller 12 will really tell you if you like wheaters. Weller 12 is one of my favorites and a favorite of many here. So far as I know, Binny's is the only Chicago retailer that carries it, and good for them.

BT is not only not a wheater, but there are many other ways in which it bears no resemblance to the Van Winkles. That it is one of your favorites is a good thing, because it shows you like different bourbon styles.
    I thought I was not being a "good" bourbon drinker because a couple of my lower priced favorites are OGD BIB and Old Fitz BIB. I know they taste definitely different from each other, but I like them both. Maybe that's ok?

Guru

That's more than OK.......It demonstrates that you like variety, which is always a good thing, and that you can easily distinguish between them.

Quote Originally Posted by anyexcuse View Post
    I thought I was not being a "good" bourbon drinker because a couple of my lower priced favorites are OGD BIB and Old Fitz BIB. I know they taste definitely different from each other, but I like them both. Maybe that's ok?
    I like OWA a wheater , ERSB low rye and WT 101 high rye and it's ok as long as you can tell and appreciate the difference. Now if they all taste the same take up drinking scotch.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Disciple

Hmm...by this statement it would seem that I tend to prefer wheater or lower rye bourbons. I really liked ERSB more so then FRSmB...would that be a higher rye makeup?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Weller 12 is not only available, it's on sale, at least at Binny's where I got a bottle for $24.99 a few days ago. They have cases of it.

Even though I already had a few bottles, the price was too good to resist and I've wanted to taste a recent bottling. There is no more SW in the mix, that much is apparent, but it's still very good and terrifically well balanced. You have to like wheaters, of course. Perhaps more than some previous iterations, this one has a lot of char. A 12-year-old should have a lot of char, but sometimes distillers use slow-aged barrels for extra-aged expressions, so you don't get as much of that as you might expect. Here you do.

Especially with the extreme price bump Rittenhouse Rye BIB just took, Weller 12 may now be the best value in an American straight whiskey.

Speaking of "shortages," they also have plenty of Knob Creek and it had a pretty good price on it too.

Guru

Speaking of "shortages," they also have plenty of Knob Creek and it had a pretty good price on it too.
    I saw 20 cases of Knob Creek in a floor display at The Liquor Barn in Lexington last week.
    Maybe someone should tell them there is a shortage and to stop showing off.
    ovh

Disciple

Weller 12 is not only available, it's on sale, at least at Binny's where I got a bottle for $24.99 a few days ago. They have cases of it.

Even though I already had a few bottles, the price was too good to resist and I've wanted to taste a recent bottling. There is no more SW in the mix, that much is apparent, but it's still very good and terrifically well balanced. You have to like wheaters, of course. Perhaps more than some previous iterations, this one has a lot of char. A 12-year-old should have a lot of char, but sometimes distillers use slow-aged barrels for extra-aged expressions, so you don't get as much of that as you might expect. Here you do.

Especially with the extreme price bump Rittenhouse Rye BIB just took, Weller 12 may now be the best value in an American straight whiskey.

This has me excited to try my Weller 12 this weekend...I have one bunkered and based off of my current likes (VW products) it seems like the Weller 12 could play right into that. We're going to taste about 5 different bourbons at the house this weekend...I'll make sure Weller 12 makes it's way onto the list. I'm thinking that all the bourbon's will be in the 20-30 range...the options are:

EC12
    FRSmB
    KC
    FR Yellow
    ORVW 10/90
    BT
    ERSB
    Weller 12
    Woodford Reserve
    BH
    JB Black

Any thoughts on which ones would give us a good feel for the different styles of bourbon?

My picks would be; FRSmB, Woodford Reserve, EC12, JB Black, and Weller 12. It was really hard for me to leave ERSB off the list, but these five give you bourbons from five different distilleries.

By the way, I think you're gonna love the Weller 12. I just finished a bottle tonight. (not Binny's) Regular Weller 12 is a great bourbon. Binny's Weller 12 just kinda builds on that, and turns it up a notch. Enjoy. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    By the way, I think you're gonna love the Weller 12. I just finished a bottle tonight. (not Binny's) Regular Weller 12 is a great bourbon. Binny's Weller 12 just kinda builds on that, and turns it up a notch. Enjoy. Joe
    That's an excellent point, by the way. Regular Weller 12 is produced by the standard procedure of mingling different barrels/warehouse placement to get the desired effect, but Binnys selects single casks for their bottlings of Weller 12. At least in the case of the one I bought, they did; the sticker clearly states that it is from a Binny's-selected single barrel. It's very soft with strong notes of caramel, quite unlike any other wheater I have.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    I like OWA a wheater , ERSB low rye and WT 101 high rye and it's ok as long as you can tell and appreciate the difference. Now if they all taste the same take up drinking scotch.
    Hey now! I'd have to say that in my experience, Scotch is actually much more diverse in style than bourbon. That may be due to my relative newness to the bourbon scene though.