Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

So you want to become a master distiller

I Googled this subject with very little response.

If someone wanted to become a master distiller, what would be the process? Would somebody have to go to culinary school for example or is it something where one has to be born into the family?

Guru

Re: So you want to become a master distiller

Considering that there are only 9 bourbon/TN distilleries,...
    Brown-Forman, Louisville & Versailles, also that one in Lynchburg TN
    Jim Beam, Clearmont
    Buffalo Trace, Frankfort
    Four Roses, Lawrenceburg
    Wild Turkey, Lawrenceburg
    Maker's Mark, Loretto
    Tom Moore, Bardstown
    Heaven Hill, Louisville
    That's 10 but Chris Morris does B-F in L'ville & Ver.
    I'd suggest going to college for a chemist degree, and getting a job at a distillery for whatever is available and befriending and networking, and still you'll probably lose out to a current family member.
    But I could be wrong.
    ovh

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Considering that there are only 9 bourbon/TN distilleries,...
    Brown-Forman, Louisville & Versailles, also that one in Lynchburg TN
    Jim Beam, Clearmont
    Buffalo Trace, Frankfort
    Four Roses, Lawrenceburg
    Wild Turkey, Lawrenceburg
    Maker's Mark, Loretto
    Tom Moore, Bardstown
    Heaven Hill, Louisville
    That's 10 but Chris Morris does B-F in L'ville & Ver.
    I'd suggest going to college for a chemist degree, and getting a job at a distillery for whatever is available and befriending and networking, and still you'll probably lose out to a current family member.
    But I could be wrong.
    You forgot about JB Boston, KY. So it's back to ten, but seriously, if you want to be a master distiller, I would suggest you open your own or buy somebody else's.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

A Chemistry, Biology or Chemical Engineering degree is a big help ... preferrable two of these ... then, get hired in to any production job available ... make your desires known and ask for training whenever possible ... work hard and play well with others ... and maybe... just maybe you can get the gig after about 15 or so years of apprenticeship ...

However, the best answer is to either be born into the right family or start your own distillery ... a name like Beam, Samuels, or Russell would be nice, too ...
    Dave

"Remember, the BEST bourbon is FREE bourbon ..."

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Heck anyone can be a master distiller...it's just that doing so without the proper paperwork is illegal.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Does Master Distiller refer only to Bourbon distilleries? I'm thinking of all the Rum, Liquer, Vodka, Whiskey, Ethanol and Solvent Distilleries world wide.
    I know Rum companies seem to differentiate between Master Distiller and Master Blender. I'm not sure there is a similar distinction on the Bourbon side.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I swear that some of these new micro-distillers, the first thing they do is get business cards printed calling themselves master distillers. So, after the business cards, you need a still. That's about it, the way a lot of those guys do it.

There is no set definition of Master Distiller. Almost all of them now spend a significant amount of their time on promotion, some more than others.

I notice rum makers usually tout their master blender more than their master distiller. Every distillery has a plant manager and somebody responsible for quality control, even if neither of them is actually called Master Distiller. So in that sense, yes, every distillery has a Master Distiller.

As Dave said, most of the younger guys at the big distilleries, and even some of the not-so-young ones, have chemical engineering degrees or something along those lines.

Another complaint I have about the micro guys is that lots of them think being a distiller is only about distilling, when arguably working with yeast and fermentation is more important, and you can learn a lot about that by making beer.
    Last edited by cowdery; 06-05-2009 at 22:20.

Taster

chemical engineering degree?...crap...not so good with math.

Moreover from what little I found...it seems that distillers are usually born into it due to family tradition ie Beam.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Geek View Post
    A Chemistry, Biology or Chemical Engineering degree is a big help ...
    As a chemist, I could easily buy into this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I swear that some of these new micro-distillers, the first thing they do is get business cards printed calling themselves master distillers. So, after the business cards, you need a still. That's about it, the way a lot of those guys do it...
    Now your talking. For quality control, production, and safety management, a chemist or chemical engineer would be a good fit. However what matters most to us is taste. Thus the ability to determine which barrels when combined will deliver the taste desired by customers, and how to develop that taste given the product in the warehouses requires no BFOQ.

Being a "master distiller" is one thing, being a successful one is a different matter.

Will

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    As a chemist, I could easily buy into this idea.

Now your talking. For quality control, production, and safety management, a chemist or chemical engineer would be a good fit. However what matters most to us is taste. Thus the ability to determine which barrels when combined will deliver the taste desired by customers, and how to develop that taste given the product in the warehouses requires no BFOQ.

Being a "master distiller" is one thing, being a successful one is a different matter.

Will
    When you mention taste, does a distillery pre-plan what taste they want a product line to have then engineer the mashbill to suit?