Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: AAA 10 is getting scarce

Hiya Cypress,

Maybe you had the AAA 10 Star, not the AAA 10 yr. Check the label to be sure.
    Omar

Enthusiast

Re: Everything Old is New (for more $$$)

AAA 10 yo is becoming scarce? I've never even seen it here in Las Vegas when it was "plentiful."

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Hi I think it was the ten year old but I can't be sure now, the bottle was finished some time ago.

What is AAA ten star?

Administrator in exile

I would think that if supplies of AAA were getting "scarce", then the price would be rising in places where it is available. It is all over Lexington and the price is staying the same @ $11.99 for a 750ml bottle. I think they might have been trying to make you feel better about not getting any by telling you that most people aren't getting any (at least that is the excuse my wife uses )

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

That's as good an indication we will get , and that's what the market prices are. This is my prompt to not worry until I see the Price start to creep.

Enthusiast

Here in Vegas, when a bottling is being phased out, the prices usually either stay the same or, right at the end, go DOWN as they try to clear out the discontinued item.

Guru

I would tend to agree with that, unless it was already a much sought after bottling, such as Wild Turkey 12-yr old. If an $11 bottling is being discontinued, it is because they can't sell enough of it to make a profit, even at the already low price.

Tim

Guru

As far as AAA 10 year is concerned, you're in the same boat (i.e., without a paddle) as we in SoCal, right?

I haven't even found a source in a state that allows shipment to out-of-state buyers. I'd be willing to pay the exhorbitant price from, say, a Pippin's one time just out of curiousity.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Apprentice

Dave said;
    "As far as AAA 10 year is concerned, you're in the same boat (i.e., without a paddle) as we in SoCal, right?"

It seems like it.
    The thing I don't understand is why the standard AA is so abundantly available. If retailers here are buying/selling the AA why not have them toss in a few bottles of the 10 yr. in the order? I can't be the only one in Texas willing to pay a little more to get it.

I found the same sort of thing with OF everybody has the 86 but I had to search for the 100. I don't think the 100 is scarce nor do I think it would be a slow mover. I can't make any sense of it.

John F

Connoisseur

This is not a scarcity. It has long been the case that AAA 10 is available in only two states. According to Buffalo Trace president, Mark Brown, "There are 2 states that have the AAA 10 Year Old - Kentucky and Virginia (It is has been this way for years). We have adequate stocks to keep these markets going right along. In all other markets you can buy AAA 10 Star, which is a 6 year old, 90 proof product."