Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: AAA 10 is getting scarce

I guess the Prez. would know better than the guy I was corresponding with (K Weber).

All I had to go by was that he works at BT, answers their emails and "getting very scarce" is a quote from him.

The part they both seem to agree on is that I'm not gonna be getting my hands on any AAA 10 unless I take a 500 mile road trip, one way

I've seen "Sams" mentioned here in other threads, are there a few Internet resources members here use when availability issues like this arise?

John F

Connoisseur

Re: AAA 10

Ken is a great guy, friend of the forum, and helpful. Perhaps Ken's point is that they simply don't have enough to ship outside of VA and KY and still guarantee that customers in those states have a supply.

Apprentice

Re: AAA 10

Oh man

Small world it is in the land of bourbon.

I sure wasn't trying to stir things up. Just trying to locate a bourbon and pass along the info I got along the way.

John F

Guru

I have placed a couple of orders with Sam's Wine & Spirits and one with Binny's Beverage Depot over the last few months.

Assuming you are not in a state that makes it illegal to receive an interstate shipment, you can do the same. However, both of these sources are in Illinois and can't help with the AAA 10 y/o problem. (I've heard that Kentucky and Virginia both prohibit shipments from their retailers to out-of-state customers. That just about puts the cork in the bottle permanently as far as AAA 10 y/o is concerned.)

Another source that a friend of mine suggested is Pippin (of North Carolina), which has locations in many states. However, lately their website has not worked; they may have gotten out of that side of the business for all I know.

There's also Internet Wines & Spirits. They list an AAA 107 proof 10 year-old, but at $31.25 it hardly seems like a bargain. In fact, their prices look high across the board to me.

BTW, I read in the past few days that there's a legal case working its way to The Supreme Court in regard to the conflict between the Commerce Clause and Amendment XIV (I think it is). However, the case deals with wine not liquor; I doubt that even a favorable outcome for wine would make liquor more easily available. (You Kentuckians may gain the right to buy wine directly from California wineries, but we Californians won't gain a similar right in regard to Kentucky bourbon.)

Since the case was brought by the wine industry, you can bet they won't address any elements that might in any way jeopardize the outcome in regard to wine -- and adding liquor to the discussion would probably do just that.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Enthusiast

I don't use the internet for domestic whiskey purchases, but I do order from several retailers in addition to Sam's: Wine & Liquor Depot in CA (ask for Howard), Town Wine & Spirits (ask for Elliot). Also, near the back of Malt Advocate they have a list of retailers that carry the magazine. (They are grouped by the number of single malts they have) I've found this list to be very helpful when trying to pick up a new/limited bottling.

Virtuoso

OF in Alabama

I understand the OF problem. I live in NC, where OF is not available. But, I was in Huntsville, AL over the holidays and went shopping. I love Old Fitz, but all I could find was the 80 proof at Windmill. ABC Beverages had closed it out and wasn't selling it anymore. (I was looking for the 100 prooof.)

Though, Windmill did have the 12 yo. I didn't want to pay $40 for it, but since they had nothing else I wanted, I did. Based on my memory of the 1849 and the 100 proof, the 12 yo is not worth the Alabama price.

I feel sorry for our Alabama brethren - the booze was certainly expensive there, at least compared to NC prices.

Guru

Re: OF in Alabama

Well, I told you!
    Tim

Virtuoso

AAA 10 yo in NC?

Really? AAA 10 yo in NC? I haven't seen it. Only the 10 star.

Unfortunately, the state price list isn't clear, but I have only seen the 10 star in my local store (a large one).

NC Price List

Virtuoso

You sure as hell did! But, that didn't stop me from trying!

Enthusiast

I have to ditto Rat! You guys just don't know how lucky you are! If I had kids...they would be in huge trouble...college tuition would be out of the question, because it would cut into my booze coinage! I couldn't afford putting them through the University of Alabama and have my vices too. See ya, H'wood