Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Old barton

Taster

Very Old barton

I am in the process of making up an order for Binny's and was looking at the Very Old Barton 100 proof. I have read many good things about VOB especially on another bourbon website that includes pictures. However the picture on the bourbon website is different (gold/black label) than the one posted on Binny's website (all white).

Before I buy VOB I was wondering is it the same VOB as raved about or has it changed along with the labeling?

Guru

Re: Very Old barton

The labels are different colors depending on the proof, which are 80, 86, 90 and 100.
    ovh

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JMac72 View Post
    I am in the process of making up an order for Binny's and was looking at the Very Old Barton 100 proof. I have read many good things about VOB especially on another bourbon website that includes pictures. However the picture on the bourbon website is different (gold/black label) than the one posted on Binny's website (all white).

Before I buy VOB I was wondering is it the same VOB as raved about or has it changed along with the labeling?
    You mean the pictures here?
    http://www.binnys.com/spirits/search...=&astxt=barton

I see what you mean. VOB comes in 4 different proofs, 80, 86, 90 & BiB (100), all of which have different colors with gold trim. Light red/pinkish & black= 80, Green & black= 86, Dark Red & black= 90, White & white= BiB. I would recommend the 90 or the BiB, although I have gotten the 86 before when it was under $8.

I haven't personally seen any change in labels, I think lazy webmasters are probably to blame for the differences.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

thanks Josh....I will pick up a bottle or 2 of the VOB 100 and probably the Old Fitzgerald 1849...AAA 10 year is in the running as well......

The VOB BIB is a good bourbon, especially for the price. It's not fantastic, but it's a nice solid bourbon. I just finished a bottle yesterday. IIRC I paid around $12 for it. Like I said, nice for the price. One of the better value bourbons out there. Enjoy. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Joe is right... of the choices, go with the BIB.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Joe is right... of the choices, go with the BIB.
    I actually think I prefer the 90 proof, but the BiB ain't too shabby either. I don't want raise expectations too high, but I've purchased bourbons that were twice as expensive that were half as good as the 90 or the BiB.

Haven't had the 1849, but AAA 10 y/o is very good too. Make sure it's the ten year, as opposed to the inferior 10 star.
    Last edited by Josh; 06-08-2009 at 16:01.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I actually think I prefer the 90 proof, but the BiB ain't too shabby either. I don't want raise expectations too high, but I've purchased bourbons that were twice as expensive that were half as good as the 90 or the BiB.

Haven't had the 1849, but AAA 10 y/o is very good too. Make sure it's the ten year, as opposed to the inferior 10 star.
    I agree that the VOB is a great deal and a great bourbon, but I have to give the edge to AAA 10 year . . . that stuff is a wolf in sheep's clothing: awesome bourbon at a very affordable price.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

Buy them both. Each is different. The common elements they share is great value and good bourbon.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

I will. When I first heard of AAA 10 year and 10 star, I thought they were one in the same bourbon but from different time periods. I then found a blog which described the differences.....

Any other suggestions for value bourbon? Might as well make the order worth the while
    Last edited by JMac72; 06-08-2009 at 18:21. Reason: grammar