Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Old barton

Guru

Re: Very Old barton

Quote Originally Posted by JMac72 View Post
    I will. When I first heard of AAA 10 year and 10 star, I thought they were one in the same bourbon but from different time periods. I then found a blog which described the differences.....

Any other suggestions for value bourbon? Might as well male the order worth the while
    If they have Heaven Hill White label BiB (6 y/o), that's a great value, but it's not widely available.
    You can't go wrong with any of the following:
    Four Roses
    Old Forester Signature (or the standard 86 proof)
    Old Granddad Bonded
    Evan Williams, even in the current NAS version
    Old Ezra 101 7 y/o
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Apprentice

Don't want to sound like a broken record but for value ya' can't beat EW Black or the White label
    Simple, Just The Way I Like It!!

Taster

Oddly enough I haven't seen EW in Washington State (where I do most of my liquor shopping) however this little contract liquor store just stocked up with Old Ezra 7 year 101....I didn't notice it until after I stocked up on GD 12 and WT 101....

Can anyone describe the taste/palette?

Enthusiast

I wanted to bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

I picked up my first bottle of VOB BIB when I saw my local store got some in stock. I really like this stuff, I can't believe it's only $11.99. Distilled by DSP-12 (Barton/Tom Moore) and bottled by DSP-24 (Glenmore, currently used by Sazerac for bottling and warehousing). So it's a Sazerac bottling, still 6 years old, still BIB. That's good news.

Advanced Taster

OK, this thread brings up a question I have. I have a bottle of the gold/black lable VOB BIB which states on it "Bottled in Bond"

I haven't seen the new white label version, but it looks like where "Bottled in Bond" used to be, they're replaced with with "Hand Crafted"

So, is the new white labeled version BIB and has anybody compared the new and old labels to see if there's been any appreciable difference?
    Never ask a man if he is from Virginia. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, you don't want to embarass him.

Enthusiast

Mine is new white label, still BIB. On the neck it does say "Hand Crafted", but "Bottled in Bond" is in script above Very Old Barton. Haven't had the old to compare.
    Last edited by nblair; 03-06-2010 at 12:39.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rocky480 View Post
    OK, this thread brings up a question I have. I have a bottle of the gold/black lable VOB BIB which states on it "Bottled in Bond"

I haven't seen the new white label version, but it looks like where "Bottled in Bond" used to be, they're replaced with with "Hand Crafted"

So, is the new white labeled version BIB and has anybody compared the new and old labels to see if there's been any appreciable difference?
    They're both BiB. I don't think Saz has made any changes to any of the Barton bourbons. Or if they have, they haven't hit the market yet.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    I wanted to bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

I picked up my first bottle of VOB BIB when I saw my local store got some in stock. I really like this stuff, I can't believe it's only $11.99. Distilled by DSP-12 (Barton/Tom Moore) and bottled by DSP-24 (Glenmore, currently used by Sazerac for bottling and warehousing). So it's a Sazerac bottling, still 6 years old, still BIB. That's good news.
    Forgot to respond to this! The Glenmore bottling plant came with Tom Moore/Barton when Saz bought the brands. IIRC, Barton acquired it after Glenmore closed. They had one in Bardstown, but Glenmore was more modern.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    Mine is new white label, still BIB. On the neck it does say "Hand Crafted", but "Bottled in Bond" is in script above Very Old Barton. Haven't had the old to compare.
    OK, good to know. Like I said, I haven't seen any of the new white label bottles, so I was going off what I could see online and I think I read it somewhere, but that was probably also based on the pictures where it doesn't look like BIB is on the label.
    Never ask a man if he is from Virginia. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, you don't want to embarass him.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    They're both BiB. I don't think Saz has made any changes to any of the Barton bourbons. Or if they have, they haven't hit the market yet.
    Barton isn't very widely avaialble around me and the prices are higher than the bargain that everybody here talks about, so I was wondering about the change. Like I wrote earlier, I haven't even seen the new labels in the market yet, so I suspect it's not a fast mover around here.