CHRIS ORIGINALLY BEGAN THIS THREAD as a spinoff of another conversation (in the Maker's Mark thread). He suggested this should be a separate topic and I agree. We ought to get a lot of good discussion on this one. I've copied the first couple messages here to start the ball rolling...

=========================
Subject Re: Maker's Mark
Posted by Chris
Posted on 10/22/00 09:26 AM
From IP 32.102.23.223

John,
When distilleries make whiskies for overseas markets, does that mean only overseas or its available at the distillery if you come and visit? I guess this is rather broad and deserves to be a new heading, but I don't get why things are made specifically for Europe and Asia and not available here. Reading some of the other posts, I have gathered that the product doesn't always fit our "tastes", but why exactly is this done?

Posted by Chris
Posted on 10/22/00 09:30 AM
From IP 32.102.23.223

I just went and got the Waymack and Harris book and on page 143 they mention a Maker's Mark Limited Edition...is this the same stuff?
Chris

Posted by bourbonv
Posted on 10/22/00 12:38 PM
From IP 209.214.171.100

Chris,
You can sum it all up to $$$$. They send the best stuff overseas because they can get the really big bucks for the product. Most Americans would not be willing to pay over $100.00 for a bottle of bourbon but it is not unusual for a bottle to sell for $300.00 or more in Japan.
Mike Veach

=John=
http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey