Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    **DONOTDELETE**

Not Available in USA

CHRIS ORIGINALLY BEGAN THIS THREAD as a spinoff of another conversation (in the Maker's Mark thread). He suggested this should be a separate topic and I agree. We ought to get a lot of good discussion on this one. I've copied the first couple messages here to start the ball rolling...

=========================
    Subject Re: Maker's Mark
    Posted by Chris
    Posted on 10/22/00 09:26 AM
    From IP 32.102.23.223

John,
    When distilleries make whiskies for overseas markets, does that mean only overseas or its available at the distillery if you come and visit? I guess this is rather broad and deserves to be a new heading, but I don't get why things are made specifically for Europe and Asia and not available here. Reading some of the other posts, I have gathered that the product doesn't always fit our "tastes", but why exactly is this done?

Posted by Chris
    Posted on 10/22/00 09:30 AM
    From IP 32.102.23.223

I just went and got the Waymack and Harris book and on page 143 they mention a Maker's Mark Limited Edition...is this the same stuff?
    Chris

Posted by bourbonv
    Posted on 10/22/00 12:38 PM
    From IP 209.214.171.100

Chris,
    You can sum it all up to $$$$. They send the best stuff overseas because they can get the really big bucks for the product. Most Americans would not be willing to pay over $100.00 for a bottle of bourbon but it is not unusual for a bottle to sell for $300.00 or more in Japan.
    Mike Veach

=John=
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Not Available in USA

Mike,
    That may seem too cynical to some, but I'm not sure it's even cynical enough. Julian might be able to add to this, because he does some exclusive overseas business himself. I have a suspicion that it's more than just, "the Japanese will pay more than Americans will". I think there may be a little of, "...but only if you can assure them this product won't be made available to Americans at any price, otherwise no deal".

=John=

**DONOTDELETE**

John,
    You know that my pet peeve is Kentucky Legend that is only available 'overseas'. Also there are three version's of Blanton's; silver, gold and a green label Special Reserve that are once again for "export only". Now for those of you that travel outside the country and have access to such delights that is all well and good, but for the rest of us it is a raw deal.
    What do we get? A $250 a bottle "cognac finished" Distillers Masterpiece? Spare me please.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

This issue doesn't bother me so much because I don't think we are missing anything that important. Most of the "Not Available in the USA" bottlings are mostly about packaging. I was concerned a few years ago when I was told that Very Very Old Fitzgerald was only being sold in Japan, but then they came out with the Very Special Old Fitzgerald, which is essentially the same profile (12 years, 90 proof). About the only real gripe I have is the difficulty of purchasing in straight whiskey form any product of the Lawrenceburg, KY Seagram's Distillery. Even there, I have had Four Roses overseas enough that I don't feel too deprived.

I don't know, Linn and John, are you really having trouble finding enough to drink?

--Chuck Cowdery

**DONOTDELETE**

Good point Chuck. I guess my only real problem is finding enough money to drink the expensive bottlings that I love. In many cases that requires a trip out to Kentucky.

Hey Chuck if you hop over into Canada are you able to purchase Kentucky Legend?

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Canada is not such a quick hop from Chicago. Michigan and Wisconsin are in the way, as they so often are on so many things. Ask somebody from Detroit. They are the ones who routinely jump over to Canada for cheap prescription drugs and round bacon.

--Chuck Cowdery

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi there

You mentioned Very Very Old Fitzgerald - we have a bottle and are dying to find out more about it. The label on this one says 12 year old, 100 proof, it also says it's a collectors item, but that could just be marketing. It was a gift to the husband a couple of years ago, and he's been trying to find out more about it ever since. As a special 40th birthday present, I'm trying to get some more info on the bottle in question, but other than the thread on UD's Rare collection, this is the only reference I've found.

Can you guy's help? Time's running out fast, and I don't know where else to look. Any ideas?

Thanks

Fitzie

**DONOTDELETE**

Fitzie,

You came to the right place. Chuck Cowdery has a bottle of Very Very Old Fitz, distilled in 1963, bottled in 1976. It's his pride and joy and he takes carefully metered sips from it on special occasions. Even better, from an information standpoint, is that Julian Van Winkle III, maker of the Old Rip Van Winkle and Van Winkle Family Reserve bourbons and ryes, is also a member here. His grandfather, Julian "Pappy" Van Winkle, made the bourbon in your bottle of Very Very Old Fitzgerald (as well as all the other Old Fitzgerald, Old Weller, Cabin Still, and Rebel Yell bourbon distilled prior to 1972). I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you more about it. In the meantime, if you check out my website (link below my signature) you'll find a page devoted to the Stitzel-Weller Distillery where Old Fitzgerald was made and another to the Old Commonwealth Distillery where Julian now bottles his wonderful bourbons.

=John=

Enthusiast

Re: 12-Year, Old Fitz

Fitzie(I like that name).
    As you may know, my grandfather started the Old Fitzgerald Distillery here in Louisville in 1935. We sold the distillery in 1972. It sounds like the bottle you have may be some whiskey my father made before the sale. Could you tell me more about the bottle
    Is it a squat shaped bottle?
    Does it have a green strip stamp over the cork?
    Does the strip stamp have dates on it?
    Does it have a cork?
    Does the bottle have thin gold lines in the glass?
    Does the bottle have a push-up bottom?
    Regards,
    Julian Van Winkle
    (502)897-9113

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 12-Year, Old Fitz

Glad you like the name!

Thanks for the reply, and Yes to pretty much all the questions

The green strip over the top is numbered BA OF 002461, no dates that I can see.

The body of the bottle is approx. 4.5 to 5 inches tall, and the neck about 3.5 - 4 inches. Total heigh of the bottle is 10 inches.

I'm not sure about a cork, the entire neck is covered by a burgundy metallic strip, bot the top looks like it could be a cork as it is plastic without any turnings that a screw top would have.

Yes, lots of gold lines - looks like christmas tree tinsel embedded in the glass.

Yes, it does have a push up bottom.

What does all of this tell you? What does it mean? any other info?

Wer'e getting a digital camera soon. I'll attach a picture - maybe more than one if that will work better, as soon as we can do that.

Any more info will be muh appreciated!

Thanks for the reply

Fitzie