Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Guru

Re: What wine are you drinking? Summer 2009

I really enjoy Malbec ...tonight I had some Maipe Malbec with some ravioli.

Health wise...resveratrol is one of the "wonder" ingredients found in red wine and Malbec, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cynthiana etc. are high in it.
    There are many factors....regions...cooler, damper is better. Australian wines are generally lower in resveratrol compared to other regions.
    NY wines in particular get high marks: http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pubs/w...nd/wine97.html
    http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Are-t...nt?&id=1922889
    Muscadine grape...native to Florida...highest average in the world..but it is rare. An exception to the cool, damp environs.

"Pinot Noir from its native Burgundy, France, as well as from Oregon, Washington State or New Zealand generally contains more resveratrol than the equivalent wine from a hotter, dryer area such as California or Australia."
    Last edited by Jono; 07-09-2009 at 20:43.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I really enjoy Malbec ...tonight I had some Maipe Malbec with some ravioli.

Health wise...resveratrol is one of the "wonder" ingredients found in red wine and Malbec, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cynthiana etc. are high in it.
    There are many factors....regions...cooler, damper is better. Australian wines are generally lower in resveratrol compared to other regions.
    NY wines in particular get high marks: http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pubs/w...nd/wine97.html
    http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Are-t...nt?&id=1922889
    Muscadine grape...native to Florida...highest average in the world..but it is rare. An exception to the cool, damp environs.

"Pinot Noir from its native Burgundy, France, as well as from Oregon, Washington State or New Zealand generally contains more resveratrol than the equivalent wine from a hotter, dryer area such as California or Australia."
    Interesting info, Jono, thanks! Malbec is one of my favorites too. It's funny how these old Bordeaux varieties like Malbec, Cabernet Franc and Carmenere have found a whole new life in the New World.

I've never had a Muscadine wine, but I've wanted to try one for a long time. They're grown all over the deep south, and from what I've read, there are some varieties that make very nice wine.

Anyway, yesterday I finished off a great bottle of Seyval Blanc from Brown County Winery (Nashville/Gnaw Bone, IN) and opened up a bottle of the 2006 Vin Gris de cigare. Boony Doon, 'nuff said.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    opened up a bottle of the 2006 Vin Gris de cigare.
    I really, really like this stuff. Used to dine at a local wine bar near my office, they had a $10 bottle selection w/dinner every Tuesday. I'd rotate entree's every week, but always drank a bottle of this - it goes well with almost anything. The wine bar went out of business, this might be why. Heck, I can't find a bottle of VGdC now at retail for $10, so it really was a heckuva buy.

Malbec recommendation - Terra Rosa from Laurel Glen. Winemaker Patrick Campbell does a heckuva job. He used to make Terra Rosa w/Cab, then a Cab/Malbec blend and now it's all Malbec.

http://tinyurl.com/ksvovb

He also makes the REDS zin blend I mentioned upthread. My 'house red'.

http://tinyurl.com/layzal
    Here's to us, who's like us?
    Damned few and they're all dead

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by texascarl View Post
    I really, really like this stuff. Used to dine at a local wine bar near my office, they had a $10 bottle selection w/dinner every Tuesday. I'd rotate entree's every week, but always drank a bottle of this - it goes well with almost anything. The wine bar went out of business, this might be why. Heck, I can't find a bottle of VGdC now at retail for $10, so it really was a heckuva buy.

Malbec recommendation - Terra Rosa from Laurel Glen. Winemaker Patrick Campbell does a heckuva job. He used to make Terra Rosa w/Cab, then a Cab/Malbec blend and now it's all Malbec.

http://tinyurl.com/ksvovb

He also makes the REDS zin blend I mentioned upthread. My 'house red'.

http://tinyurl.com/layzal
    Great suggestions. I've never had a Cali Malbec. Have to try the REDS too.

Just poured a glass of Keineweiss from Madison Vineyards (Madison, IN) and the wife noticed that it tasted like nail polish. So we dumped it out and poured something else.

That something else being a glass of Mallow Run (Bargersville, IN) Cayuga. Much better. Hard to describe tho, a little spicey, and little sweet, a little foxy. Very nice.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Great suggestions. I've never had a Cali Malbec.
    It's really an Argentine (Mendoza) Malbec made by a winemaker from California. Good stuff.
    Here's to us, who's like us?
    Damned few and they're all dead

Enthusiast

why, oh why?

The French painter G. Massias produced this bicycle advertising poster in 1895. A wine with a label featuring the poster has been banned from sale in the state of Alabama because it features a person "posed in an immodest or sensuous manner."

Connoisseur

For these hot daze in Bama I like a V. Sattui Gamay Rouge or St. Christopher Piesporter Riesling Auslese. Both are light, fruity, sweet, but not too sweet, and no over abundances of tannins, acid, or oak. For the barbecue I like just about anything old vine zin. The youngsters seem like a basket of berries and the older ones seem to take on a stewed fruit and spice taste with an earthyness. I don't know where that comes from. Maybe I should wash my glass more often.

Thanx Josh for the great tour!
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    why, oh why?

The French painter G. Massias produced this bicycle advertising poster in 1895. A wine with a label featuring the poster has been banned from sale in the state of Alabama because it features a person "posed in an immodest or sensuous manner."
    I live in North Alabama and feel your pain. Right next to a liquor store on highway 72 is a large billboard that has an advertisement for a strip club next to an invitation to worship from the local church. However, in all three of these establishments, I am protected from obscene materials made immortal by the worlds great artists plastered on fine wines. Of course, in the tattoo parlor strategically located next to the liquor store, one can have their anal cleft tattooed to make it more presentable to the discerning public. We aim to please. In moderation of course.

You just can't make this stuff up.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Connoisseur

I had a California Reisling the other night that was most excellent despite its very silly name. Kung Fu Girl.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    I had a California Reisling the other night that was most excellent despite its very silly name. Kung Fu Girl.
    I haven't had a California Reisling that I really liked, but I'll keep my eye out for that one. I'm with you, sometimes the gimmicky names get in the way.

Don't know about how available these would be in Japan, but I've never had a bad Michigan or New York Reisling. The grape seems to love cool, wet climates.

Anyway been slowly working our way through our NY and IN wines. Last night with BBQ ribs the Mrs. & I split a bottle of a 2004 Cab Franc from Buttonwood Grove on Cayuga Lake, NY. Dry but with a good amount of fruit. Probably could have aged even longer than it did.

I remember this one, even though it was later in the tasting day. They had a nice tasting room and some animals outside including some goats and a beautiful Scottish Highland cow named Melody who you could feed. Behind the buildings, on a little train back in the woods there's a beautiful waterfall too. Lots of waterfalls around the Finger Lakes, since the lakes themselves are in very deep glacial gorges.
    Last edited by Josh; 07-25-2009 at 07:57.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog