Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Guru

Re: What wine are you drinking? Summer 2009

Yesterday shared a bottle of Domaine Barrien's Wolf Prairie Red with my wife and a friend of ours. Domaine Barrien is a really unique winery. It's just a few miles from Chicago on the Lake Michigan shore in SW Michigan. Unlike most Michigan wine-makers who focus on German/Alsatian whites, they specialize in estate-grown reds and do a damn good job.

Few days before that I finished off a bottle of White Spings (Seneca Lake) 2007 GewŁztraminer. Really good. Fruity and spicey, great with food. Good summer pour.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Tonight I am enjoying Guenoc 2007 N Coast "Victorian Claret" ...a CA burgundy...a red blend...but very good.

http://www.thewinebuyer.com/sku48205.html

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Tonight I am enjoying Guenoc 2007 N Coast "Victorian Claret" ...a CA burgundy...a red blend...but very good.

http://www.thewinebuyer.com/sku48205.html
    Looks good Jono.

Just finished two bottles today and opened another. Finished a bottle of Royal Rose from Seneca Shore Winery near Penn Yann, NY. Nice fairly dry rose with a good foxy Catawba touch. Everything we got there was very good for the money, despite the cheesy medieval theme of the place.

Also finished a bottle of 2003 Markham Cab Sauv (Napa) that was left by a mustachioed friend who stopped by Saturday evening.

Just opened a bottle of Vignoles Ice Wine from Wagner Winery/Brewery on Seneca Lake. The some of the beers were good and most of the wines were mediocre. But this ice wine, wow. Like biting into a ripe pear, but sweeter. It was affordable too, for an ice.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Had a bottle of the 2005 Barboursville Octagon, 8th Edition last night with dinner at Clyde's in Tysons Corner. Their price on the bottle is actually slightly less than the $40 retail - no idea why. The wine is made by the Barboursville Vineyards near Charlottesville, Virginia and is a merlot-based meritage-style blend.

The name Octagon comes from the Barboursville ruins on the winery grounds, designed by Thomas Jefferson for his friend James Barbour, governor of Virginia. The mansion burned down in on Christmas Day in 1884 and only the octagon-shaped brickwork remains.

I thought the wine was excellent, rating in the low 90s.

Last edited by Sijan; 09-01-2009 at 07:46.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Connoisseur

from our summer Napa trip

Spring Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon and Elivette (Bordeaux blend)
    Rubicon Cabernet (Coppola's first winery)
    Orin Swift Mercury Head Cabernet & The Prisoner (51% Zin, 23% Cab,...)
    Franciscan Magnificat (Bordeaux blend)
    Cain 5 (Bordeaux blend)...pricey, but worth it. they also have Cain Concept, which is more reasonable
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Enthusiast

I had a schwarzriesling from the Baden-region of Germany,a red wine,half dry called Becksteiner Tauberklinge 2006 for its price a very surprisingly good wine.Another name for the grape is pinot meunier originally from Burgundy.

Eric.
    Netherlands

Advanced Taster

Just killed off a bottle of the Seghesio 2007 Sonoma Zinfindel . Good stuff.
    "Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure."
    Ambrose Bierce

Novice

Order some T-Vine stuff from California... you won't be disappointed if you like fruit-forward reds! Newton Meritage is good also for red. Mer Soleil makes a good Chard (as does Newton unfiltered) and Conundrum is a good blend. Mondavi Oakdale is an excellent Cab Sav. Honig and Brown Estate are also good Cabs. Qupe Shiraz is nice. And although it isn't highly rated, I really enjoy King Estate Pinot Noir.