Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Looking for a Rare Breed recommendation

After reading many posts regarding WT, The KS has been mentioned more than a few times regarding it getting younger and maybe less flavorful.

Pewter > Dark Wood > Light Wood

Has the same happened to the Rare Breed (I think I've seen some posts about this too) and what years/batches might I look for.
    I assume earlier will be better than later but how far back do I have to go to find some great whiskey as opposed to some good whiskey? I don't have any RB in the bunker yet but I have a few other Turkeys and would like to round out the collection with a RB and maybe a No. 8.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Disciple

Re: Looking for a Rare Breed recommendation

I have a couple '96s that were awesome -- but the current Rare Breed is still very good whiskey IMO.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

Anything bottled in the 1990's is good.
    Some better than others,
    but after I had a sample of '96 (thanks again Andy!)
    I lost my taste for the current bottles (damn you Andy!).
    ovh

Connoisseur

This post brings up an interesting point. I have had several different 1990s editions of WTRB, most of them very good. The current stuff remains one of my favorite whiskeys, but the earlier bottlings did seem to have a bit more of the older whiskey blended in. Nonetheless, the point I'm wondering aobut is this: is the 03-RB all one batch? Did WT really anticipate demand this effectively and set aside 6 years worth of bourbon in one batch? I find it difficult to believe, though the previous batch was WT-01-99, which would put it at 4 years before the "current batch." It's something I've wondered about as some have said they think WTRB is getting younger. Do you think it's gotten younger with this 03-RB batch, or have some of you detected differences among bottles in the 03-RB batch?

Tim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    This post brings up an interesting point. I have had several different 1990s editions of WTRB, most of them very good. The current stuff remains one of my favorite whiskeys, but the earlier bottlings did seem to have a bit more of the older whiskey blended in. Nonetheless, the point I'm wondering aobut is this: is the 03-RB all one batch? Did WT really anticipate demand this effectively and set aside 6 years worth of bourbon in one batch? I find it difficult to believe, though the previous batch was WT-01-99, which would put it at 4 years before the "current batch." It's something I've wondered about as some have said they think WTRB is getting younger. Do you think it's gotten younger with this 03-RB batch, or have some of you detected differences among bottles in the 03-RB batch?

Tim
    I'm with Tim when he says, "The current stuff remains one of my favorite whiskeys."
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

I've searched but I can't find it. I remember posting about a comparison between the 01-99 and the 03-RB. I recall thinking the 01-99 had deeper leather notes which would correspond to older whiskey being in the batch.

Advanced Taster

The 90's stuff was good, hell it was GREAT. But its hard to say that this 03 stuff isnt too.

Whenever this 03 batch is gone and replaced, there will be a a lot of people looking for it after the new stuff hits the shelf. It will be the next "rr101"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wskybnt View Post
    The 90's stuff was good, hell it was GREAT. But its hard to say that this 03 stuff isnt too.

Whenever this 03 batch is gone and replaced, there will be a a lot of people looking for it after the new stuff hits the shelf. It will be the next "rr101"
    Yep, it could be, but lets hope not.
    ovh

Virtuoso

Is WT-03RB still the Current Bottling?

It seems impossible that there hasn't been a new Rare Breed for 7 years. Recently, I believe I read that the WT-03RB has been superceded by a new version. As I look around I can't find any mention of this, so I'm asking:

Is WT-03RB still the Current Bottling?

Over the years I've squirreled away a few bottles of this, as I think it's a WT product that is at the top of it's game. As the thought is makin' me hankerin', I'm wonderin' if I should open one I already have or go looking for a new one to see if it's necessary to go on an WT-03RB hunt.

Roger

Virtuoso

I saw a few '03's today while shopping. Nothing newer anyplace I visited.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz