Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Looking for a Rare Breed recommendation

Roger,
    The WT-03-RB is still in great supply. There may be a new one as Jimmy Russell told me the "new" release of Rare Breed is Un-Chill filtered. You just may want to grab one when you see it.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    Roger,
    The WT-03-RB is still in great supply. There may be a new one as Jimmy Russell told me the "new" release of Rare Breed is Un-Chill filtered. You just may want to grab one when you see it.
    Joe
    Oh man! I hope the Alabama Beverage Control board doesn't have an issue with un-chill filtered WTRB. That might be tasty stuff.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Virtuoso

From my understanding, here's what happened with rare breed: When they hit WT-03RB, they simply quit batch labeling it. not all 03's are the same. In fact, with 03 you can apply the smooth vs symbol top rules- 03RB's with smooth tops were probably the original batch from 2003/4, not so much later rare breed changed over to a symbol-top, much like Kentucky spirit did.

From what people have told me, the 1996 batch of rare breed was one of the best. I have one open currently, and it's definitely good. I also have a 375ml bottle 91-2 open, and now that it has had some time to breathe I seriously wish I had another one. That particular bottle is like Wild Turkey's version of Mariage, of the BTAC- truly intense barrel proof stuff.

At one point I really didn't care for rare breed at all. I had a very dry bottle of 03-RB that I think was bottled in 2007. I ended vatting it into just about anything else possible because I just couldn't drink it. I've had some younger kentucky spirits that were the same way.

If it's the original label without the turkey, buy it. no questions asked. If you don't want to drink it somebody else probably will. When it comes to the label with the turkey on it (1997/8+? I've seen a 98 with a turkey on it but what did the label look like in 07?), you'd have to ask someone else. I don't know how batches 98,99,00,01, and 02 might be.

Brad, how was the batch 99? Tasty, delicious, you'd buy it again if you could find it? Or, not so much?
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Taster

After looking in KY, GA, MI and TN, all I saw was the 03-RB. Heck I even bought one, and its pretty damned good. If the earlier stuff was better then i would snatch it up if I saw it.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    ...When they hit WT-03RB, they simply quit batch labeling it. not all 03's are the same...
    WHAT THE !!!!

Wild Turkey definitely minimized their sales to me with that move, as I would have made sure to buy one of each, and a stockpile of each really good one. I really enjoyed having a lineup of the different Rare Breeds.

I guess I'll be on the lookout for the one which Bourbon Joe is talking about and shake my fist at all the others!

Roger

Disciple

Man my palms are now getting sweaty as I just picked up my 1993 RB (W-T-03-93 stamped with 11/04/93 at 10:33) and I only have about 3 ounces left. Stunningly elegant, refined and drinkable at 114 proof. Pretty much blows the doors off an Old No. 8 I have from 1993 (05/24/93 at 10:05...I love these date and time stamps on the older Turkeys), which ain't too shabby in its own right.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    Roger,
    Joe
    I was under the impression that everything from Wild Turkey with a proof of 100 or above was un-chill filtered . . . can anyone else confirm, disconfirm, or chime in on this with more rumors?
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    I was under the impression that everything from Wild Turkey with a proof of 100 or above was un-chill filtered . . . can anyone else confirm, disconfirm, or chime in on this with more rumors?
    I can confirm that there was quite a good thread about this on BE. Long story short, it turns out BourbonJoe spoke to Jimmy Russell himself to confirm it is all chill filtered. However, the newest batch of WTRB (not yet released) will be un-chill filtered.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    I can confirm that there was quite a good thread about this on BE. Long story short, it turns out BourbonJoe spoke to Jimmy Russell himself to confirm it is all chill filtered. However, the newest batch of WTRB (not yet released) will be un-chill filtered.
    Thank you, I don't know how I missed that. They should stop it.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    However, the newest batch of WTRB (not yet released) will be un-chill filtered.
    This is interesting. Do you know if they are going to state that on the label?
    Did you hear when this will be released?
    ovh