Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

New to the forum

I wanted to say hello and thank you to all the posters in the forum for all the information I have came across in just a few days reading posts. I grew up in Kentucky but oddly enough only recently have gotten into better bourbons. I think it had to do with everyone around me only drinking Jim Beam growing up. For the past 10 years or so Scotch was my "premium" drink of choice and a few years ago started buying nice tequilas. I really only drank Woodfords or Knob Creek and wanted to branch out and find other Bourbons I may enjoy.

In reading some posts I decided to go on some recommendations and buy a few bottles that it seemed like a lot of people spoke highly of. Yesterday I purchased bottles of Four Roses, Buffalo Trace and the Weiller Antique. I did a blind taste test and concluded I was not really a fan of the BT, I thought it actually tasted like it had a much higher alcohol content than the 90 proof it has and had somewhat of a medicine smell. I really liked the other two. I tried my KC along with them, and even though I still like it can see why it does not get a lot of praise from purists. I wanted to get a bottle of the Rip Van winkel everyone talks about, but it was sold out where I live in Missouri.

Thanks for all the posts and suggestions. If there is anything else anyone would recommend for my next purchase I am all ears. I would like to keep if around $20 or so a bottle so I can try different stuff for a while. I could not believe I got all three of those bottles for $52! That is the price of any one decent bottle of tequila.

Finally one question. I wanted to get a set of nice glencairn glasses. I saw some on ebay dirt cheap, like $6 a glass. Are these rips off glasses that are differnent from real glencarin glasses. I guess what I'm asking is it it like getting a fake rolex instead of a real one or if they are all the same. I'm looking forward to reading more posts.

Re: New to the forum

Welcome aboard nice to have you. If your looking for glasses here's a place http://www.cobhthaighceltique.com/Th...0Ordering.html

As for suggestions on bourbons I would recommend WT 101, ERSB 10 90, RR 1792, EW Black label, EWSB, WT rye, these all fall between $20 and $30. I hope you enjoy the site post often, ask a lot of questions, post your opinions, make some new friends, chat is Thursday and Sunday nights but is open all the time, have fun.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

Welcome to SB. Nice job doing your research. As far as what I would recommend P_elliot hit the nail on the head. I would also add Old Forester and Elmer T Lee and don't give up on the BT let it sit for a bit and go back you may be surprised.
    Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    Ernest Hemingway
    2009 Fantasy Football Champion

Connoisseur

Hi Holderman, welcome aboard

Solid hits on your first expansion. OWA is in my top 5 bourbons!

I second Independant's call for giving the BT some time and a second chance. Just last night I returned to an EWSB '97 that I opened about 3-4 weeks ago. First tasting it was unbelievably hot especially for 86 proof, I wasn't super happy. Last night it had calmed down and and was punching out massive caramel sweetness - very enjoyable!

Enthusiast

Yea, I agree on letting the BT sit for a bit. I really enjoy it for the price range. Also, you should dig for the Old Rip Van Winkle 90 proof, pretty cheap at $22 a bottle here and wonderful for the price.

OWA is a great choice too. I saw you in the chat earlier today, but had to run really quickly... next time I promise to say hi!

Welcome to SB Holderman. This is the place to be if you want to find out more about bourbon. There's a lot of information here, and people that are willing to share it. Get ready to have some fun, and hopefully learn a few things at the same time. Hope you enjoy the experience. Joe

PS. As for recommendations, my favorites are anything Weller, anything VanWinkle and anything ER.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Welcome to the site and I second a previous recomendation to try the BT again. Try them all again! You may be surprised at how much some whiskey will change after a bottle has been open awhile. A few decent inexpensive whiskies are Old Fitzgerald BIB and WL Weller Special Reserve and they're usually less than $15.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Thanks guys, I look forward to seeing more of your posts and trying different bottles. I found a liquore store that is said to have the largest selection here in St. Louis and am going to try to make it down this weekend. Hopefully they will have the Old Fitz or RVW. Thanks for the feedback.

Virtuoso

We look forward to more of your posts
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz