Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

100% Wheat Whiskey - Dry Fly

Found this nice little spot when I was up in Spokane WA. Their whiskey and Vodka are make with Wheat.

http://www.dryflydistilling.com/main.php

The 100% Wheat whiskey is good stuff... Only Washington and Binny's will have the Whiskey for the first release. The Distiller (good guy) is selling it for ~$30 for a 750... good price for a micro distiller.. the NW boys are charging 4X that...

The juice has been aged for a min of 2 yrs in Charred White Oak... I will post the two pics I took (got busy talking and forgot to take more) at a later time

Disciple

Re: 100% Wheat Whiskey - Dry Fly

Not so bad a price if it's good. Sounds like you had some?
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Connoisseur

I had the Death's Door wheat whiskey and
    found it to be a nice change. I'd certainly
    be interested in trying the Fly.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    Found this nice little spot when I was up in Spokane WA. Their whiskey and Vodka are make with Wheat.

The 100% Wheat whiskey is good stuff... Only Washington and Binny's will have the Whiskey for the first release. The Distiller (good guy) is selling it for ~$30 for a 750... good price for a micro distiller.. the NW boys are charging 4X that...

The juice has been aged for a min of 2 yrs in Charred White Oak... I will post the two pics I took (got busy talking and forgot to take more) at a later time
    The website says the whiskey is a single malt that is still ageing. Do they have a wheat whiskey as well?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post

How does it compare to Bernheim Wheat?
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

After a lengthy email correspondence with the Dry Fly guys, hard info is available. The first bottling of the wheat will be available aug 7th in WA state and at binnys in oct. A bourbon following the wheat in the next year, with the single malt approx 5 years out.

Cant wait to try the wheat as my palate favors that over the rye...

Cheers~
    sippin'

Trippah and Admin

Wheated bourbon and straight wheat whiskey are different beasts.

The wheat in a bourbon mashbill is not as assertive in the flavor profile so it doesn't mask the corn sweetness like in a rye mashbill. I have a bottle of Bernheim Straight Wheat and while it is a very tasty pour, it has very little in common with a wheated bourbon. The corn sweetness of a Weller bottling is definitely absent and it is more biscuity or perhaps yeasty overall.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post

The wheat in a bourbon mashbill is not as assertive in the flavor profile so it doesn't mask the corn sweetness like in a rye mashbill. I have a bottle of Bernheim Straight Wheat and while it is a very tasty pour, it has very little in common with a wheated bourbon. The corn sweetness of a Weller bottling is definitely absent and it is more biscuity or perhaps yeasty overall.
    That's one of the better explanations of wheaters I've read.

Many assume that it's the wheat that makes for the sweetness in a wheater bourbon, but it's the unmasked corn that sweetens things. Wheat is the most innocuous of bourbon grains, so much so that even in the relatively high amounts it's used (22% +/-) it's a "whisper" not a shout. 'Biscuity' is a really good description of wheat.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post

Scott I'm not saying your wrong just for my palate I would beg to differ. Especially with a freshly opened bottle of wheated bourbon the wheat flavor is over powering. It's like grabbing a handful of wheat and holding it up to your nose. It settles down quite a bit after the bottle has breathed for a while but it's still there to some degree. I just maybe overly sensitive to this being raised on a farm and raising horses. It taste like horse feed smells , the natural grains. I don't get that with a rye bourbon.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

Please don't throw me off the site for saying this, but if you really like wheat whiskey, try Inverleven single grain whisky (from the dark side).Personally I'm not overly fond of straight wheat whisky and I prefer most bourbons with a high amount of rye (notable exception is PVW).